Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
eliminating snails
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
AndyM
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.08.05(Wed)8:02    Post subject: eliminating snails Reply with quote

I have a planted 29G with two fish which will be moved to the 92G shortly. The 29 is infested with snails and I want them gone. With no fish I'm OK with chemical treatment if necessary, suggestions?
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.08.05(Wed)8:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=52101&highlight=
AndyM
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.08.05(Wed)12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say 3 snails per 10 galls will help controlling the snail population, without wiping them out.

Thanks for the link, cool idea, but my goal is complete eradication.......... Twisted Evil
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.08.05(Wed)12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyM wrote:
Thanks for the link, cool idea, but my goal is complete eradication.......... Twisted Evil

Since there are no fish, you could take the tank down, treat everything with a bleach dip, then set it back up again, making sure to dechlorinate. You could save your bacteria by running your filter on the 92g in the meantime, but there's a possibility some snails (or eggs) have made their way into the filter.

IMO a bleach dip for everything (including plants) is safer because you can remove bleach with dechlorinator... while any chemical used for snail eradication might linger.

Personally, I'd just try to reduce the population and live with a few snails... but if you're dead set against it and do decided to rip everything down to rid yourself of them, be sure to treat any new plants with a bleach dip and don't transfer any of the water from the bags when you buy fish... you still may end up reintroducing snails if they hitch a ride on the actual fish... they're sneaky buggars.

I've resigned myself to losing the battle against them and don't mind a snail or two (or three or four or five) in my tanks. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.08.05(Wed)12:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't mind my snails their good little cleaners. But niks idea would work well, you may have to do it a few times though. They are hard to get rid of.
nes999
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.08.05(Wed)13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikelodeon79 wrote:
AndyM wrote:

Since there are no fish, you could take the tank down, treat everything with a bleach dip, then set it back up again, making sure to dechlorinate. You could save your bacteria by running your filter on the 92g in the meantime, but there's a possibility some snails (or eggs) have made their way into the filter.

IMO a bleach dip for everything (including plants) is safer because you can remove bleach with dechlorinator... while any chemical used for snail eradication might linger.

Personally, I'd just try to reduce the population and live with a few snails... but if you're dead set against it and do decided to rip everything down to rid yourself of them, be sure to treat any new plants with a bleach dip and don't transfer any of the water from the bags when you buy fish... you still may end up reintroducing snails if they hitch a ride on the actual fish... they're sneaky buggars.

I've resigned myself to losing the battle against them and don't mind a snail or two (or three or four or five) in my tanks. Laughing

I can't for the life of me get snails to live in my tanks.....in witch I'm very happy for
AndyM
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.08.05(Wed)13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I've toyed with the idea of a total teardown, especially since fish will be housed. This tank is a petco special with the dumb little HOB filter and the media is riddled with snails as well, not really a problem just replace media. Bleach treatment has crossed my mind too, I'll probably go that route. Not real worried about bacteria maintenance, it's planted pretty heavy so if I lose it all I can still introduce fish slowly without much worry about amm & nit. Thanks all!
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.08.05(Wed)13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyM wrote:
Not real worried about bacteria maintenance, it's planted pretty heavy so if I lose it all I can still introduce fish slowly without much worry about amm & nit. Thanks all!

You'd be better off squeezing some of the gunk off your 92g filter into the new filter when you re set up the tank.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.08.05(Wed)14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with nik again on using filter goo from your other tank.

I would recommend letting a bleach mix sit in the tank for a few hours with all the gravel and what not in it. Snails are hard to kill. Then spread your gravel out outside so the snail bodies get carried off in the night.....
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.08.05(Wed)15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably use this opportunity for a re-scape. I'd probably pitch the gravel, as substrate generally is fairly cheap. What are your future plans for stock in this tank? If your plans include bottom dwellers, you could pick up some nice play/silica sand as a substrate... I get mine for about $5 per 50 lb bag.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: