Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Dream Home Make Over Tropical Fish Tank Edition
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Kaz
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.06.08(Mon)4:39    Post subject: Dream Home Make Over Tropical Fish Tank Edition Reply with quote

I've got a 120l 3 foot approx tank, currently has two hang on back filters (just not cutting the mustard), a uv light, heater, air pump with flexible (stone?). Small brownish stones substrate, a couple of stragely plants one is an amazon sword plant (forgot what other one is), a few plastic plants. a log, a shark & bridge ornament, a couple of larger rocks. Inhabiting this tank is a Silver Shark, two male Angel Fish, a Clown Loach (yes I know), 2 Borneo Suckers, Flying Fox.

I would like to give this tank a major over haul, currently there is a large space underneath its table with a 4 foot approx empty tank that I would like to turn into a sump but have absolutely no idea about how to go about this. Also I need better filtration maybe canister filters. I would like to have more plants and wood giving it a more natural look, but have not had much success with plants, probably need better lighting too. Also I currently have three ill fitting sheets of glass covering the top of the tank that leaves about 4-5cm approx right along both long edges open letting a lot of moisture escape.

Suggestions would be welcome, no to sure on where to start really need some advice. Question Question

P.S. Sorry it's soooo long.
nes999
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.06.08(Mon)5:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

id go with a sand bottom and take out the angels. I have a thing about cichlids personaly being with out fish. but thats personal thinking too.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.06.08(Mon)6:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

This tank is far too small for the silver shark, an adult wouldn't be able to turn around (and be half the length of the tank including fins) as well as being too small for the clown loach and both of these are shoaling species so they need upgrading or rehoming.
The angels and flying fox are probably OK but how deep is the water as angels really need at least 15" depth as a minimum?

The borneo suckers need very different conditions to the other fish - cooler water and high current and should be kept seperately.

If you sort out the stocking your filter may suffice and to be honest it is cheaper to purchase a decent canister or power filter than to make a sump for such a small tank.

What are the actual tank dimensions please and what equipment do you have?
nes999
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.06.08(Mon)6:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
This tank is far too small for the silver shark, an adult wouldn't be able to turn around (and be half the length of the tank including fins) as well as being too small for the clown loach and both of these are shoaling species so they need upgrading or rehoming.
The angels and flying fox are probably OK but how deep is the water as angels really need at least 15" depth as a minimum?

The borneo suckers need very different conditions to the other fish - cooler water and high current and should be kept seperately.

If you sort out the stocking your filter may suffice and to be honest it is cheaper to purchase a decent canister or power filter than to make a sump for such a small tank.

What are the actual tank dimensions please and what equipment do you have?

I always though the rule was 18 inches for an angels you learn something new everyday
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.06.08(Mon)8:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angels need 15" water depth - this is over the substrate so effectively a 17 or 18" deep tank.

nes999, you will often see things written or hear things. Rather than just repeating them ask yourself why that is a "rule" or guideline. For angels it is because of the finnage ofthe adult fish and their swimming style and it is easy to understand if you've ever seen full sized angelfish.
Many "rules" are misquoted or misapplied and the factual basis becomes decried through misunderstanding of the original principles.
Kaz
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.06.08(Mon)20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly: ness999 I am a bit attached to my two angels as I raised them from the egg, but I am considering selling my other pair as they are not breeding as I intended. I could then sell one of the angels and find a suitably sized female and move the new pair to the 100l tall hexagonal tank.

Secondly: Diademhill I am aware that the tank is too small for the shark and clown loach they came with the tank poor wee things, when I went to pick up the tank and fish one of the angles was dead in the water Crying or Very sad . I will sell them to the LFS in the hopes they will go to a better home. Borneo Suckers also came with the tank I guess I could sell them too their just soo cute! But their welfare must come first.

Approx dimentions are 900mm long, 380mm width, 400mm depth but I only ever fill it to 360mm.

Equiptment is 2x Aqua One 200? HOB filters, atinan 20w tri-power light, aqua one heater, and air pump with one of thoes flexi rubbery air stone things (real technical lol).

Stocking wise I love the blue gourami's haven't yet done any research on them.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.06.09(Tue)1:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

90 x 38 x 40cm = 35" x 15" x 16"

Is there any reason you don't fill the tank higher as it is really too shallow for angels? A 100L tall would be OK for a pair.

You could keep a pair or trio of blue gouramis in this tank if you had no other fish with them. It is too small to add them to a community. Thicklipped gouramis or Pearl gouramis could work instead.
Have you considered praecox rainbows?

If you like the hillstream loaches you could keep the tank for them, cool it and get a few more and maybe add a paradise fish.
Kaz
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.06.09(Tue)2:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently my angels are fairly small.

I would like to have it a planted community tank so I'll have a look into your suggestions.

I would love to set up a tank for the loaches, don't think I'll have to cool it here in NZ I'll probably still have to heat it in winter. Problem is space, my dinning/fish room is pretty packed already with three tanks, when I have more space I'd definitly look into that.

OK so if I was looking at pearl gourami's what other fish could I have with them? I am envisioning a shoal of small fish with pearl gourami's as the feature fish, and some bottom dwellers. Don't know what praecox rainbows are so I'll go look them up now.

OK just checked out the praecox rainbows, gorgous little fish!! Now it's just a matter of finding out if they are available in my area. Other thought is that I was thinking about the blue neon dwarf gourami not the trispot. Don't think I was very clear before.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: