Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: SNAIL Infestation! Why? What should I do?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.11(Tue)7:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Aquaman212"]Try clown loaches they are great for that stuff[ /quote]
This is generally not a good idea. Not all loaches have an appetite for snails, and clowns grow very large. They will outgrow most hobbyist's tanks.

Last edited by nikelodeon79 on 2008.03.11(Tue)16:15; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.03.11(Tue)14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquaman212 wrote:
Try clown loaches they are great for that stuff

It is good to state that Clow Loaches get very big (approx 30cm), so unsuitable for small tanks . One can keep other types of Botia like Pakistani botia, Zebra botia, Polkadot botia, etc, the ones that grow to max 10-13cm, and they also eat snails.

Regards, Dusko.
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.03.11(Tue)14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikelodeon79 wrote:

Not all loaches have an appetite for snails,

IME, not all will eat (if any) the hard to get MTSnail, but they did eat up the Pond snails and Ramshorn snails pretty fast.
I have kept Apple snails and Neritina snails with Clown Loaches and they never ever showed any interest in eating them.

Regards, Dusko
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.01.07(Wed)7:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learning not to overfeed my fish has been the most useful method of keeping my snail population under control.

Another thing that I did to control the population of unwanted snails, such as ramshorn and pond snails, was to weed them out over a period of a few weeks, while at the same time allowing my population of MTS to grow. Me feeding less now combined with the fact that there's a large population of MTS to eat any unwanted food before the pest snails do makes it a lot harder for the pest snails to multiply, and it's worked out well for me.

I don't mind the MTS one bit. Their burrowing habits are pretty useful if you have sand, as they keep the sand stirred up and prevent dead spots. They burrow in gravel too, and they'll eat the food that's fallen in between the gravel. They don't eat plants either.
krt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.01.21(Wed)17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi- my 10 gal in completly infested with pond and ramshorn snails, I've picked them out, crushed them, trapped them... The ramshorns are destroying my plants and I want them out!

I have a plan but I'd like your input

1-remove fish and a couple of pond snails (which are harmless and I don't mind them)

2-remove filter, check inside for snail eggs

3-dose tank with some kind of snail killing chemical, though I'm not sure which just now

4-99% water change, maybe twice to flush out everything

5-put fish back in tank

What are your thoughts on this? Does anyone know a good poison for snails and about how long it takes for it to work, I'd like to just keep my fish in a bucket during this whole ordeal if possible.

Anything else I may have overlooked or should be concerned with?

thanks
-Kurt
tomsopinion
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.06.05(Fri)22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my experience loaches and goldfish get rid of snails most effectively. alternatively you can bombard your fish dealer with snails for extra credit Wink
macika
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.07.19(Sun)22:00    Post subject: hey Reply with quote

I did everything and I have a nice plant and it's almost been eaten up agian by the disgusting small greyish snails. I changed the water, I cleaned up everything but some snail eggs remained on my favorite plant and now my tank is infested with snails again. I am going to buy loaches wich really love to eat snails but I am afraid of my Mbunas will kill the loaches.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.07.20(Mon)7:28    Post subject: Re: hey Reply with quote

macika wrote:
I did everything and I have a nice plant and it's almost been eaten up agian by the disgusting small greyish snails. I changed the water, I cleaned up everything but some snail eggs remained on my favorite plant and now my tank is infested with snails again. I am going to buy loaches wich really love to eat snails but I am afraid of my Mbunas will kill the loaches.

Your mbuna will likely eat the loaches. They are also likely eating the plant. My mbuna tank has zero snails (the mbuna also eat the snails) and one very badly beaten up Amazon Sword. The fish chow down on the plant all the time.

Are you sure you are not overfeeding the mbuna?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
macika
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.07.20(Mon)8:41    Post subject: Re: hey Reply with quote

[quote="nikelodeon79
Your mbuna will likely eat the loaches. They are also likely eating the plant. My mbuna tank has zero snails (the mbuna also eat the snails) and one very badly beaten up Amazon Sword. The fish chow down on the plant all the time.

Are you sure you are not overfeeding the mbuna?[/quote]

that's not true. I have Pseudotropheus Lombardoi and Melanochromis Auratus and they hate the snails. They don't eat them. I feed them with veggie based fishfood and they didn't/don't even touch the plants.
macika
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.07.20(Mon)8:43    Post subject: Re: hey Reply with quote

nikelodeon79 wrote:
macika wrote:

Are you sure you are not overfeeding the mbuna?

I am because I give them 1 or 2 times just a small amount of food wich they consume really fast. But I won't give food for them and we'll see how they like snails.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to: