Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Aphyosemion Australe Killifish(Gold)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Killifishes and Killi Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Rucker
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.05.08(Fri)16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jisty - I feel I might be getting a little out of my depth as these are my first australes. And my experience with killies is limited in general. I had a N. guentheri for more than a year and have a couple of Pygmy killies (L. ommata), but otherwise I'm new to killies. The N. guentheri lived alone because he had a mean streak a mile wide. But he ate anything that fell into the tank including my coffee maker. No, just kidding. But another hearty eater. The L. ommatas sometimes interact, but more often they do not. They're very lowkey fish and sometimes I do not see them eat, but they seem healthy and happy.

As for company for your australes, it might help but that is a guess. My two males sort of hang together much of the time, sometimes displaying, sometimes just sort of vaguely associating, if that makes sense. I'm still not sure how to read it. The females are more to themselves, though they are not shy about stealing food from the males, which are larger than they are. Perhaps another pair would mean that they all could sort of act like dither fish for each other which could relieve stress which could bring on appetite. So that is again just speculation - anyone else wants to jump in and correct me, please do. AS for tetras, I'm not sure. I have rummynoses, but 15 gallons seems a bit small for them - mine are pretty active most of the time. I just don't know them well enough to suggest which might be good in your tank. Some neons perhaps; they're small and peaceful.

Anyone better on tetras?

If your fish are happy, you're happy. So right. I know if I notice some behavior I have not seen before, I am nervous and distracted until I understand what I am seeing. Or with new fish, waiting for them to adjust and begin to eat right - it's nervewracking! But worth it in the end, don't you think? Really I've never enjoyed any pet as much as I enjoy my fish. I mean how long can you watch a cat or dog sleep? Love cats and dogs, don't get me wrong.

Keep us posted.
Jisty Morelove
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.05.09(Sat)17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all..

Quote:
it's nervewracking! But worth it in the end, don't you think?

I most certain do agree Wink

Quote:
Hi Jisty - I feel I might be getting a little out of my depth as these are my first australes. And my experience with killies is limited in general.

You have been a great help to me so far, Thank you. Sometimes the general information is of more use, and is my case it certain is Smile

I'm holding on getting them company until I have done more research into it all.
Lily is eating even better now, shes not so shy now to come get the food or steal it from in front of Jake. Jake is eating, if it falls under his nose, he's certainly not happy with the lack of plant/surface cover, or something.But I do suspect its the lack of cover.

So here's that picture I said I'd get last post, sorry for any bad quality. I waited until today because I had some new rocks to put in. Lily certainly has a choice of homes now Wink .

Well its coming along, of course more cover needed yet, and I'm going to look into some floating plant cover . Thats about it atm.

Cheers again
Jisty Morelove
Rucker
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.05.09(Sat)20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jisty - I'm glad I have been of some help to you and that Lily is braving the open waters for her food now. Just wanted to be clear my knowledge is only partly experience-based with these fish and most of what I know is from a lot of reading and listening to others.

Your tank looks good but is less planted than mine, I see. If you can get that cabomba to grow, I think they'll like it. My tanks are known as "The Cabomba Graveyard". I simply cannot grow it. I still think you'll want some surface cover in there, but I know you're working on it. One non-surface plant that I have great success with is Windelov's Fern. I started with two leaves of it, and now have it in almost all my tanks. I think it's related to Java fern, but in my tanks anyway, it grows much much faster that JFs. If you can get some, it should fill in nicely. Those caves look nice for Lily too. I know my females sit on the botom a lot, but they don't much go in the hollow log, but again that might be because they have good surface cover. Sorry I don't have any pictures - one day I will finally buy a camera.

OK, time for weekend water changes. Let us know how it goes.
Jisty Morelove
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.05.14(Thu)7:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all..

Well I'm glad to report they are both still healthy and well. Lily is eating no problems, Jakes certainly eating now, although still not a great deal.

Jakes out and about now which is kinda good and kinda badish. He's been out ever since the re-scape, I'll guess theres cover all around the tank now so he's a lot happier to come out. On the bad side, this now means Lily is getting chased half the day by jake. He's very keen to mate, while she is certainly not. I do hope all his attentions do not upset her. I am still leaning towards getting some neons for company and a distraction for jake, Unless some1 has a good reason not to add neons. What I would really like to do is add 2 more female Australe, perhaps I'll keep an eye on that LFS, or see if he's getting any more in. I'm hoping its a local breeder that supplies him with killi's, he's got a few variaty's.

The Comboda is growing well in my tank, the picture above I'd just taken cutting's from the 3 at the back, and planted at the front. Which I intend to do again to create more cover for them.

Thats about it for now
Cheers all

Jisty Morelove
Jisty Morelove
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.05.17(Sun)8:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all..

I went off to the LFS to get them neons for company. Well I got lucky and found 2 new female Australe Wink . Turns out these Australe are being bred locally . so I now have 3 females and 1 male Australe, and 7 neon tetra .
Initially the females killi were chasing the neons, but no nipping. I'm guessing its just pecking orders being set-up. Its been a few days and the chasing has stopped and every1 is settling in well.
Also turns out I got the wrong tetramin crisps for the killifish. I've now got exactly what the LFS is using for them. All my females are up top as soon as the crisp's go in, they certainly like them.
As for Jake. He is still not overly fussed about food, although he's looking in good health. He's very happy about 2 new females and its working great for Lily as she finds more space for herself now.

I'm much more enjoying the tank now. Jakes out and about daily checking out his harem and the neons are happily wondering the tank .Only thing left to do is reduce my waterflow at the surface a bit more for the killi's.

Cheers for reading
Jisty Morelove
Rucker
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.05.18(Mon)14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great news, Jisty. Glad you are finally able to relax and enjoy your fish. Sounds like the extra females might have been the tipping point. Once again the lesson that if you give your fish a happy home, they will make your home happier in return.
AshaJ
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.06.10(Wed)10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading the other topic on Golden Panchax about the agressiveness and the eventual loss of n00genmeister's panda.
Mine are housed with fish that are currently bigger than them but peaceful..... and a female gold severum, who is the gentlist fish on the planet and hasn't even so much as looked at another fish the wrong way.
When she was younger she was bullied by others and nipped at, but I made a tank just for her with only peaceful tank mates.
The golden panchax were my last addition to the tank, all seems to be going very well indeed.
But my eyes are always open for any aggression at all, the panchax are indeed very furious eaters, frenzied even! Great to watch, and great at dispersing frozen bloodworms all over the tank. lol
Jisty Morelove
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.06.16(Tue)5:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all..

I hope your G.Panchax are settling in well Jinkusu.

I had been looking at the Blue Panchax when I got into killi's. But my LFS only had 1 male. I seem to be pretty lucky that my LFS has a local breeder that supplys him.
Since my start things have settled down well. All my killi are eating well now and are very peaceful towards each other and the neons they share the tank with. I had a little fin nipping at 1st, but very little and it seems to of stopped now..
What tank you got yours in jinx? . He/she have tank mates? .
Beautifull fish killi's, very much enjoying my'ne.

Cheers
Jisty Morelove
AshaJ
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.06.18(Thu)5:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine are in a 4ft tank currently. 1 male and 2 females. I put some java moss in and since then the males been a lot more colourful. He keeps close to his females, all doing fab. Theyve been eating anything and everything I've put into the tank, even had a go at the new floating plant and a piece of courgette for the bristle nosed plec. lol
As far as food goes, anythings worth a first try, even if its not edible.
Jisty Morelove
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.06.23(Tue)7:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all..

Sounds like I have fussy eaters then, lol. Thats nice to hear your killis have company jinksu. And my'ne love the java moss aswell Wink . My'ne have been breeding a few weeks ago, but I don't expect any fry to grow because I have not removed the adults, 1 day I'll have a go at raising some, but not just yet .

Cheers all
Hoping all your killi's are well

Jisty Morelove
 Forum Index > Killifishes and Killi Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: