Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Aphyosemion Australe Killifish(Gold)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Killifishes and Killi Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jisty Morelove
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.05.03(Sun)17:57    Post subject: Aphyosemion Australe Killifish(Gold) Reply with quote

Hi all Killifish people...

Well I have a LFS that stocks a few Killi types. After months of watching them, I've finally got a pair of Aphyosemion Australe Gold(Lyretail) .

Lily

Jake

So its only been my 1st week, but they seem to be OK with my water quality atm. Seens as the last Australe post was a long time ago I thought I'd post new, and see whos here still that keep these fishes.

So far they seem to be eating, but not a lot. So also as its been a long time, is there any updates of this species, or anything I can do to make them more comfortable and enjoy there stay with me.

They have there own 15g lightly planted tank, few vals and some green comboda. With rocks and half a coconut shell covered in Java moss and a sand substrate.

Hope you enjoy the photo's and sorry for any bad quality.

Cheer for reading.
Jisty Morelove
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.05.04(Mon)18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add more plants, feed em yummy live foods...and wait for babies(or pick eggs). Enjoy your new killies!

I am not keeping any indoor fish anymore...but I'd love to try australe sometime.
plus all kinds of smaller containers
Rucker
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.05.05(Tue)12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got two pair of these from a friend - the orange variety. They are juveniles that settled right into the tank (12 US gallons) I had for them and began eating within an hour. I got them from a friend so they came from the well maintained tank they were born in which may be why they were ready to eat so quickly. So far they have eaten live blackworms, live bbs and brine shrimp, live fruit flies, frozen mini mysis and a little bit of flake.

This tank is much more heavily planted than yours sounds to be. I have bacopa, C. retrospiralis, Windelov's fern, and four fifths of the top or more is covered with water lettuce, salvina, and duck weed. I have a corner sponge filter in there, so the surface is pretty calm.

The males are displaying to each other, and I've seen spawning or attempts anyway. They are only a couple of months old, so I'm not sure if they are truly sexually mature yet, but that hasn't stopped them trying. What I didn't expect to see is the females scavanging the substrate and often just sitting on it. But I'm told this is common, and I can see that the fish are healthy, not hiding or clamping and eating well. I just didn't expect to see that.
Jisty Morelove
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.05.05(Tue)16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all..

Thanks for the advice.

I'm about to do a little re-scape in this tank for them. I've recently got some Green Comboda growing in the tank, and I'm starting to take cutting's and spreading it around most of the tank.Lily seems to like hanging about in the stems of it, Jake still owns the coconut shell with Java Moss, which I intend on trying to stick some to a rock I have for them over time to create a new cave/home for them.

Quote:
What I didn't expect to see is the females scavanging the substrate and often just sitting on it.

My female Lily does exactly the same thing. I've also seen my male sit on the substrate but not for any long period of time like lily does. I've not seen him scavaging the substrate either like lily does.

I'd be interested in hearing how well your Australe feed?
Mostly meaning, do they feed like pigs, or seem to eat very little.
I'm certain my'ne are eating, but its very little amounts.

I have no practical knowledge of these fish yet, but I'm sure I caught Lily and Jake trying to mate today, most of the day they have been at it. If they have and I saw correctly, she must of laid the eggs in the sand substrate. I saw a few times that she might be laying in the substrate but nowhere else. I do know this pair should be old enough to attempt breeding but perhaps it was just courtship I was seeing. They certainly get on well together.

Cheers again
Jisty Morelove
Rucker
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.05.05(Tue)18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - yes, my australes eat like pigs. They know where and when the food comes in, and they're right there waiting for it. It's funny to see them with a worm as long as they are sticking out of their mouths, but they manage to eat them. They also often come to the glass when I pass even if it is not feeding time.

You said you got yours from a LFS. I wonder if that is the reason they are taking a bit longer to settle in. Stress of shipment to the LFS, crowded tank there perhaps. I'm not sure. Maybe you should give your female a hiding place also. They might be a bit stressed if the tank is too sparsely planted or without surface cover. I'm not an expert though. You might try aka.org for some tips.
Jisty Morelove
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.05.06(Wed)8:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all..

Thanks Rucker for the reply.

My killi's are certainly not eating like pigs yet. I bet it has something to do with the lack of surface cover. But they are eating at least, not much like I say.

The tank the killi's came from certainly was crowded, as most LFS tanks are.But all the fish in there are in top condition concidering.There were Hengal rasbora and Green tetra in the same tank and a few other corys,sucker fish. All the killi's he had were around mid to lower levels with the schooling fish above creating cover for them most likely. The killi's have been at the LFS for over 4months now as I've been watching them Wink .They've been in great condition over all that period of time and I've assumed they are used to the local water by now. I live under 1hour away from the LFS and I drive carefully when I have fish on board. I also took at least 1hour introducing them into the tank.

With all that said Smile , I think its the lack of surface cover thats bothering them perhaps, as you have all suggested. I'll get onto it, oh and Lily has a rock cave to use, which she does, but not much. This is the cave rock I'm going to try get the Java moss to stick to for her.

Cheers again for all the replys

Jisty Morelove
Rucker
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.05.06(Wed)12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jisty - That's good to hear about your LFS. It also occurred to me that you might contact the LFS and ask what the killies were being fed. If it's significantly different, you might try getting whatever it is and slowly moving your killies over to what you want to feed, if you follow me.

In the meantime, for a quick surface cover solution - if you can't lay your hands on plants right away - I have floated yogurt container lids in tanks. An idea I got from readiing about bettas. It seemed to work OK, though it's not really pretty.

Good luck.
Jisty Morelove
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.05.06(Wed)16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all..

Just so happens I did that Rucker. I got some Tetra high quality crisp's as the LFS I got the killi's from suggested, but still no great change. I use Tetraprima granular food for the 2 Chinese Hillstream Loach I have in the same tank atm, the killi's seem most interested in them as it goes.Either way I'm on it, off to buy more bloodworms tomorrow.

Yogurt lids, good idea. I done my re-scape, there still getting used to it. So far though there both rather actively exploring all the tank, so I'm not thinking there stressed at all. I'll get a full tank shot soon and post so you can see were I'm at.

Cheers again
Jisty Morelove
Rucker
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.05.06(Wed)16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me that they are going to be fine if they're exploring. I don't think sick or unhappy fish do that sort of thing.

I'm really enjoying mine, and I'm sure you will be enjoying yours soon - I know concern makes it hard to enjoy.

cheers
Jisty Morelove
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.05.08(Fri)6:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all..

Thats very perceptive of you Rucker. I think for me, when the fish are happy I'm happy.

I've been feeding bloodworms again, still no great change . I certainly saw them eat, but again, no vigor or real interest.

Now I know these guys are said to be best in species tanks . But I'm seriously wondering about my 2 killi's being a bit lonely, hehe. The tank they came from was busy, and also had 3-4 other male Australe. So they had something to do, but now my male seems ,well bored, unless Lily comes close. Jakes protecting his coconut shell well, but he's got nothing to protect it from, hehe. I'm just wondering that after they've had 3-4months in a busy tank if they'd appreciate a little company, maybe some tetra,as they were used to.

What do you honestly think?
Best leave them alone?
Or add some tetra for company?
If so,which tetra, could I get away with some neons as they are small?

Cheers again
Jisty Morelove
 Forum Index > Killifishes and Killi Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: