Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
thinking of a sun-powered marine planted tank
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
mujacko2002
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.04.10(Fri)19:31    Post subject: thinking of a sun-powered marine planted tank Reply with quote

Mabuhay!

Hello everyone. I hope everything is in A-1 condition including their tanks. Anyway, something got me into thinking lately, would it be possible to setup a marine planted tank using the power of the sun just like what I did in my freshwater setup. I've read a couple of people who has done it with their setups with corals but they still have a lot of machines which are really very costly around here and way beyond my means.

So, to anyone who would browse this thread, I would like to know what do you think of my idea, is it practical? or is it just a waste a time,money and effort.

The Location :
this was shot around 8.30am

this was taken early afternoon

For cycling purposes only: (planning to have a 75g setup)
Temporary cycling tank : this tank has been with me since college and just checking for any leaks. This will temporarily house my LRs and LS.

Part of Substrate :
It was only recently that I've read something about mineral mud. I've asked around our local websites but no one seems to be interested or knows about it. But there is someone locally who used garden soil (kinda like mineralized soil) in his refugium setup. Anyway, I have this soil submerged since last year maybe a little under 5 months (still counting) I might be using this in the setup. The composition of my substrate would be soil-sand-soil-sand (what do you think?)

Any inputs will be highly appreciated.

well,wish me luck folks.

Godbless
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.04.10(Fri)21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

You most certainly can do this, if you could research and follow the method of Lee Chin Eng (pronounced "ang" as in tang.) Eng is considered the father of the low-tech marine aquarium.

Eng's systems (circa 1961) were VERY simple and utilized natural sunlight. He did not employ any high tech gizmos, not even a skimmer, just live rock and a basic airstone for circulation. However you will need to limit yourself to just a very few fish and make sure you play by the rules of Eng's "natural system," and be prepared for some experimentation in order to get things balanced. Keep in mind, many have tried Eng's methods and failed. I'm not sure the soil substrate is the best idea, the live rock will provide the bacteria anyway. Eng collected his own sand from the Indonesian reefs in his area.

It would help if you had easy access to clean natural seawater (like Eng did) or you could loop the tank directly to the ocean in a semi-open setup. In 2006 I visited the International Coral Reef Center in Palau and I believe they were doing this with some of their displays which were located right on the marine bay in Koror.

Here are a few links to get you started on your journey...

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_2/cav2i5/Filtration/Filtration.htm
http://www.candybass.net/filtration.htm
http://www.garf.org/news6p3.html
http://www.reefaquariumguide.com/forum/general-reef-aquarium-discussion/54062-natural-reefkeeping-via-lee-chin-eng-method.html
http://www.picrc.org/
mujacko2002
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.04.11(Sat)5:59    Post subject: TY Reply with quote

Mabuhay!

thank you so much for the needed information. its my first time to hear his name, he is like the Karen Randall of the FWS. Very Happy Are you using his method too? I do have access to clean NSW but definitely I don't have the resources for connecting my tank to the sea. Laughing (how I wish) And my setup would only consist of macroalgaes and marine plants. I am not really into corals and fishes. One of my biggest question is heat build up. There was somehow vague info on how did he go about it. I mean, he is using the sun to power up the setup and it could really heat up things fast which of course is detrimental to the inhabitants.

Also, if you don't mind, do you also have pics of your setups.

thank you so much in advance for any response.

Godbless

Uly
Tigerissey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2009.04.11(Sat)9:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It would help if you had easy access to clean natural seawater (like Eng did) or you could loop the tank directly to the ocean in a semi-open setup. In 2006 I visited the International Coral Reef Center in Palau and I believe they were doing this with some of their displays which were located right on the marine bay in Koror.

Montery B aquarium also loop their displays in to the sea

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/efc/cam_menu.asp

They do have other equipment that you will not be utilising but there systems are very impressive.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: