Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
See-Through Fish Help Cancer Research
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Aquarium Science  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Slimy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.08(Fri)14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely good points, Dusko. Incidentally you also made an excellent typo:

Quote:
but that is a problem we could and should discus on regular basis.
After learning what they should look like when they are healthy it seems 95% or more of what I see in captivity have been kept/grown with deficiencies. But that's obviously topic for a whole new thread.
CAllain
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.08(Fri)15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I read this kind of thing, the more I think a truly responsible fish keeper wouldn't exist, as someone so responsible wouldn't keep fish at all. But, at the end of the day, we want to keep fish, and a lot of us here are (hopefully) trying to do our best to look after them as well as we can.

As Dusko mentioned, the best we can do is to avoid wild caught specimens, or specimens that have to be shipped long distances.

But, this is getting a little off topic now so I'll stop there Wink
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.08(Fri)15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, CAllain... It's hard to be a responsible fish keeper and still keep fish! It's like, "well, I can't buy fish at Wal-mart, because we all know how they treat their stock, and I can't go to Petco/smart for the same reason... and that LFS is really great, but I can't go there, because they sell painted tetras... Oh, there's a good LFS! I'll shop there..." but then I witness them selling two white skirt tetras, five neon tetras, and two shrimp to go with their brand new... 2.5 gallon tank. Mad

How can I not choose to get fish shipped to me when my local options are so bleak?

Then try to get into the cichlid (mbuna) world and you have to go online to get quality specimens, because all the LFS carry "mixed african cichlid" tanks full of mutts. Go on AquaBid and all you see is "F0" or "F1..." I went for the F1s but that still means I'm technically supporting catching fish from the wild because my fishs' parents were wild caughts... <sigh> It's a neverending circle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Neodoxa
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.02.21(Thu)21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using fish for research is definitely a controversial issue, especially here... But if a fish is bred in captivity... I have to agree with it... I mean, if one of my family members came down with an illness/disease and research on fish could help him/her... I'd be all for it. No harm to the environment done, and help for people... I'm all for it. I don't mean to sound harsh... I just value my human family and friends a lot more than my fish...

But I do definitely love my fish! Wink
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.29(Fri)16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think using fish for scientific reasearch is good and bad at the same time, - I'm glad that scientists want to find cures for deadly illnesses such as cancer, but on the other hand I think using animals is wrong, at school I've been doing a topic on animal testing, somtimes the experiments aren't even correct because animals e.g fish have different reactions to humans. And the rat/mouse with an extra ear, that was just freaky.
Somak
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.03.16(Mon)9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read some post stating research using animals as subject should stop. Well I felt either these people did not have brain or were not using there brain, because they keep fish at home well those fish are also abused like hormone treatment of discus, goldfish in small bowl, oscar and betta in cramped container, etc.

The experiment conducted on the mouse was to prove that an organ non-native to an organism can be transplanted.
 Forum Index > Aquarium Science All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: