Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Is this a indoor pond filter?
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
alan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.12.09(Sun)12:09    Post subject: Is this a indoor pond filter? Reply with quote

OK, I'm in the middle of a plan...

My plan is to get an indoor pond for my huge Koi to move into come this spring.

Before I get the preformed pond (200g) from the store and build a support frame for it I'm working with my small Coffee table pond .

Right now by working with my smaller pond I hope to work out the bugs on running a pond before I get the bigger one.

NOW THAT WE ARE UP TO DATE WITH THE PLAN...
The problem I face right off the bat is filtering the water.
The bigger Koi I own need water thats filtered.
However because I will have the pond indoors I don't want any noise of a filter to harm the effect of ZEN the pond brings to a room.

SO, right now I plan two types of water filters for my indoor pond.
TYPE 1- is an undergravel filter, but with no air pump, rather I want a very small underwater water-pump to serve in the place of the normal air stone to move the water in the filter.
The reason?
I hate the noise of the airstone.

Also the biggest problem I have with most Koi Ponds is that the type of waterfalls or filters they use tend to make it hard to see the fish due to reflections.
I want more of a slow movement of water so that you don't have any problems seeing down into the pond at the fish.

TYPE 2- OK, here is why I made this topic.
I plan to use a once-a-week filter to really CLEAN, SUPER-CLEAN the pond.
The type of filter I plan to use is a household drinking water filter thats sold under the brandname OMNI.
It's one of them type filters thats sold to filter all your water that enters your house.
I plan to connect this house-size filter to a house-size sump pump.
Then just drop the sump pump into the pond on the weekends while watch TV for a hour or so.

I have done a few test drives of this setup and it seems to work like a charm!

The question is this,
QUESTION -is a charcol 1-micron Omni home water filter going to do anything to the water of a pond?

Does it actually clean and filter what I need to filter?
piranha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.12.10(Mon)20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not an external pressurized cannister filter with a debri-handling pump. Easy to clean, will keep the pond very clean. Pump is submersible type; would be very quiet. Return hose could be submerged to eliminate all noise for a totally silent filtration system. I use a Cyprio Bioforce and Titan pump on my outdoor pond. Check out AZponds.com for a large selection of pond filters at great prices.
alan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.12.10(Mon)22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I kinda need to know what filtering is a 1-micron char-filter?

Is 1-micron good...or just normal?

I also will take a look at the filter you suggested to see how it could work out for me.
I really do not want to mess up the top of the water too much and get too many water reflections. I think I'm seeking a very slow calm flow of water into and out of the filter/pump.
I have been reading and because my pond is indoors I don't need skimmers or stuff like that.
piranha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.12.11(Tue)21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

These type filters don't use skimmers. The Cyprio Bioforce 500 does not create a very forceful stream of water. But if water pressure was a concern, another excellent filter would be an external gravity fed filter. They also sell these at AZponds.com
dixgomez
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.02.19(Thu)5:37    Post subject: Re: Is this a indoor pond filter? Reply with quote

alan wrote:
OK, I'm in the middle of a plan...

My plan is to get an indoor pond for my huge Koi to move into come this spring.

Before I get the preformed pond (200g) from the store and build a support frame for it I'm working with my small Coffee table pond .

Right now by working with my smaller pond I hope to work out the bugs on running a pond before I get the bigger one.

NOW THAT WE ARE UP TO DATE WITH THE PLAN...
The problem I face right off the bat is filtering the water.
The bigger Koi I own need water thats filtered.
However because I will have the pond indoors I don't want any noise of a filter to harm the effect of ZEN the pond brings to a room.

SO, right now I plan two types of water filters for my indoor pond.
TYPE 1- is an undergravel filter, but with no air pump, rather I want a very small underwater water-pump to serve in the place of the normal air stone to move the water in the filter.
The reason?
I hate the noise of the airstone.

Also the biggest problem I have with most Koi Ponds is that the type of waterfalls or filters they use tend to make it hard to see the fish due to reflections.
I want more of a slow movement of water so that you don't have any problems seeing down into the pond at the fish.

TYPE 2- OK, here is why I made this topic.
I plan to use a once-a-week filter to really CLEAN, SUPER-CLEAN the pond.
The type of filter I plan to use is a household drinking water filter thats sold under the brandname OMNI.
It's one of them type filters thats sold to filter all your water that enters your house.
I plan to connect this house-size filter to a house-size sump pump.
Then just drop the sump pump into the pond on the weekends while watch TV for a hour or so.

I have done a few test drives of this setup and it seems to work like a charm!

The question is this,
QUESTION -is a charcol 1-micron Omni home water filter going to do anything to the water of a pond?

Does it actually clean and filter what I need to filter?

I think yes I micron for water filter is quite enough to filter the water...

Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: