Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Golden Wonder Killifish
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Killifishes and Killi Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
HottieFreak82
Members

PostPosted: 2007.11.10(Sat)21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love these fish! I've had a total of three, 2 males and a female. Seems they can be very "bossy" most all the time, and be jumpy or snippy towards some of my fish. My rather large male ( 3 1/2 inches ) he almost likes to interigate new arrivals for a day or two, but not hurt or consume any other fish. They seem to want to be "king" of the surface, I have two small Kuli loaches and young swordtails and have had no fatalities. Although depending on the size of the small fry, I wouldn't put it past a killi to snip and eat any thing that had hit the surface, once I noticed a spider had fallen in the tank some how and before I could scoop it out my large male saw that thing scattering aroung and ate it in one bite!! Razz
fishboyroc87
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.11.19(Wed)8:44    Post subject: golden wonder survival! Reply with quote

I have male in a 20 gal and a female in a 10....the female ate 3 small algae eating catfish and a tetra...I didn't know the culprite until I caught her in the act late night. The male also picked off a small chinese algae eater and two x-ray tetras. Now there fine although 6 months ago the female jumped out on the side of the aquarium and was resting on the ledge. They do a lot of splashing so I didn't imediatly check. Five minutes later I looked over and I thought it had died, but was breathing a little so I went to pick it up and place it back in the water and it jumped and fell to the floor. 3 foot drop! Got her back to the water and shes healthy and big as ever. Very hardy sweet fishes...watch out though!
HeikoBleher
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.11.29(Sat)15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all of you Killi lovers,

this is Heiko, back from some lectures and seminars in Germany, India, China, Malaysia and Egyt (all in the last 5 weeks...) amd some colelcting and that is actually why I write: While in Kerala (India) giving lectures and having the workshop Green certification (to be seen on my home page) I found a fantastic (probably new) small killifish from the panchax-group. (The golden you all mention I introduced many, many years ago, a beauty and good for smaller aquariums).

I will have some photos up in a couple of days. It is living and dwelling beautifully in a nano aquarium, the brightest colours and for sure an Aplocheilus, but a dwarf one.
wait and see.

Kindest regards, from a (also) Killi collector

Heiko Bleher
www.aquapress-bleher.com
www.aqiua-aquapress.com
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2008.12.05(Fri)10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heiko, I can't wait to see it! I currently only have some epiplaties, dageti and some annulatus...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger AIM Address
Redpanda67
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.02.10(Tue)23:07    Post subject: Killies fighting Reply with quote

This is the first time I have had killies, and yes I made a dumb choice and got them without FULLY reseraching.

I have two golden wonder killies in a 10 gallon tank with 2 medium size goldfish. They don't bother the goldfish, but I came home today and they were fighting with each other. I took one of them out and put him in one of my old 1 gallon "holding" tanks. Is this normal? What do I do about this? To the best of my knowlage they are both male.
Obelisk
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.02.12(Thu)0:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, I've bought fish before on impulse, and I can tell you it's never a good idea. The fact that they are both male is most likely why they're fighting. It's best to have 1 male, and then whatever number of females you want. If you don't have anywhere to permanently house the other male then your best bet is to return him.

You should definitely keep track of the nitrates in your tank. Goldfish are heavy waste producers and you'll need to put them in a bigger tank as they grow, if not already, depending on how big they really are. The golden wonder killifish are, in my experience, better off in a 20 gallon. I had to hold them in a 10g one time, and they seemed kind of cramped compared to their usual 20g home. Golden killies are a great small predatory fish; enjoy them and good luck.
 Forum Index > Killifishes and Killi Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: