Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Reefresh2o BioMedia
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
li'lsquirt
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.02.06(Fri)15:36    Post subject: Reefresh2o BioMedia Reply with quote

Hi. Is anyone here familiar with this company? I'm a little confused by the instructions that come with their bio spheres. Rinsing them in tap water on a regular basis is part of the bio sphere maintenance. Isn't that hard on the bacteria living in them? I can't access their web site, or I'd ask them about it.

They also recommend replacing them every year. Do other makers of bio media recommend that?
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.02.06(Fri)22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of tank do you have?

In a reef or FOWLR tank, biomedia is unnecessary, since the live rock performs all the biological filtration. Many people use a mechanical filter and rinse it out daily to prevent the accumulation of detritus, which can turn the filter into a nitrate factory.
In a FO (fish only) tank, on the other hand, daily rinsing would be a little odd... you'd want to keep a healthy bacterial colony.
li'lsquirt
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.02.07(Sat)8:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a FO tank. And the instructions are to rinse the spheres in tap water--when you first get them--to remove particles; then rinse them in tank water to remove the chlorine from the spheres. Repeat this every three months; and then replace the spheres--to maintain optimal conditions--after one year.
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.02.07(Sat)12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good idea to rinse them every three months- you have to remove detritus, and they will become clogged fairly quickly otherwise- but I would rinse them in a small bucket of salt water. I can't imagine rinsing them with fresh every three months- I think the risk of killing off the filter bacteria and starting a mini-cycle every time is a little too high.
Seems odd to me.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.02.07(Sat)15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you wouldn't want to wash your SW media in FW, I guess this product is marketed for freshwater tanks too, this is a ceramic media. The reason they want you to rinse and replace it is because that material is actually going to trap detritus, because in my opinion the openings are way too small. If you want artificial media, I would stick with the plastic balls with rods, they are highly resistant to trapping and the open design is going to give you excellent gas exchange. This style has worked very well for me in FO applications over the years, and never needed replacing. Here are some examples of the design I am talking about:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=14727&cmpid=03csegb&ref=3312&subref=AA&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=0026379000000
http://www.petsolutions.com/Default.aspx?ItemID=10817015
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: