Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
crooss breeding ?
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
fishlover25
Members

PostPosted: 2009.02.04(Wed)21:29    Post subject: crooss breeding ? Reply with quote

hi my question is.....can a black moor breed with a feeder goldfish if so how and what shoukd I do to make them breed they are in a 10 gallon together and are both about 3 inches
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.02.04(Wed)22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you want to?
There isn't any money in breeding goldfish, aside from the fancy varieties. And raising fry of any kind is an expensive enterprise.
keeno
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.02.04(Wed)23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, a ten gallon is far too small for even one goldfish. Can you get a bigger tank or a pond?
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.02.05(Thu)0:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple answer to your initial question is yes you can breed Moors and feeders. All Goldfish are the same species and all will breed regularly and easily when they become old enough (usually they start at one year) although most Goldfish that are sold are very young.

Different varieties of Goldfish have been bred selectively for a long time and best production of eggs is usually from adults that are 2 to 4 years old.

The comments by Osprey and keeno are absolutly correct so I probably would not bother. If left alone the eggs and any fry that hatch out will probably be eaten but a 40 gallon is about as small as you want to grow out even half the spawn but a 10 is kind of small anyways.
fishlover25
Members

PostPosted: 2009.02.05(Thu)10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

keeno wrote:
Also, a ten gallon is far too small for even one goldfish. Can you get a bigger tank or a pond?

my fathers giving me his pond this summer so ill put them in a pond, how do I brreed them tho like the steps
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.02.05(Thu)15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just simply put any fish together and they will spawn. People who call themselves Breeders are not quite correct. The need to reproduce (breed, spawn) is very strong. Fish will breed if conditions are very good and also at times if conditions are very bad but Goldfish always seem to be in the mood.

In a large pond a few fry always seem to survive but as with any highly selected animal the characteristics that you want are very quick to dissapear. Goldfish are originally a drab greenish carp that almost all fry seem to look like initially before "coloring up" after weeks or months.

There are many ways of helping Goldfish spawn on the NET so look it up. Usually pond spawning is the most difficult method of breeding Goldfish. Having a fishroom and a lot of tanks for growout and an area to grow baby Brine Shrimp are usually just the initial requirements plus a lot of time and dedication.

Mature adult Goldfish are very fecund and with good production methods a few thousand fry that are very quickly reduced to a couple of dozen within weeks is about normal. The feeders you see are a bait fish. Goldfish are very plastic genetically which means that anything is usually possible. Several generations are normally required to get a good strain going so patience is needed; it can be years to get anywhere.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: