Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
nitrate in tap water
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
drakedeming
Members

PostPosted: 2009.01.27(Tue)7:41    Post subject: nitrate in tap water Reply with quote

So I am thinking of starting a marine tank in the future. It turns out that my tap water has 5-10 ppm of nitrate. will a RO filter remove these? If not what are my options? I would prefer not to buy water from the store, any ideas?
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.01.27(Tue)11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an expert, but it is my understanding that various household R.O. units can remove less than 80% to over 95% of the nitrates from your water, depending on the unit. There are also selective resins, ion exchange systems that will further target nitrate. Consult the manufacturer before purchasing your unit to make sure it fits your needs. Consider which type of animals you want to keep and how much water you require. If you are going to set up a basic marine fish tank it really doesn't matter that much. You might also want to check for phosphates, which can be a major algae fuel.
Jimbob
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.01.30(Fri)9:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have similar issues with my tap water but the nitrates run at 50ppm with phosphates reading between 0.2 and 0.5ppm. I also get a TDS reading of between 280 and 360 depending on the time of year (summer being much higher than winter).

Running my RO unit at 65psi gives me water with zero readings across the board and is more convienent that buying pre-mix salt water from my LFS. In fact when I was buying fresh RO water the TDS readings were still coming out at around 15-20.

Running my particular RO unit at less that 45psi reduces the effectivness of the filters and the life of the membrane.

Have a look at http://www.ro-man.com/ although it is a UK based company there is loads of info that will help you make an informed decision about purchases and ongoing costs for filters etc.

Another option - that I use for my freshwater tank - is a plastic tube filled with nitrate removing resin. I filter water through a hose at about 30lts an hour. Water goes in at around 50ppm and comes out at 0ppm. I flush the tube through with salt water to recharge it and it's good to go again. It does remove nitrate only so I still end up with phosphate, chlorine and chloramine to deal with.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.01.30(Fri)11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbob, good input thanks for your reply.
That sounds like some nasty water you have to deal with over there... Laughing
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: