Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Simpliest DIY Overflow
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
PhyRaNNuS
Members

PostPosted: 2009.01.08(Thu)23:28    Post subject: Simpliest DIY Overflow Reply with quote

This past few months I am planning to have a sump under my 80gals FOWLR tank using my old 50gals glass tank(design to be modified). I don't want my display tank to be drilled so I'm looking for the simpliest diy overflow that I myself could do at home and I saw this 2 videos of this simple but superb overflow using only 3/4" water supply pipe in YOUTUBE. I also drew its simple diagram for better understanding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofEHUJtsweY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2RrLbo-VuA&feature=related

[img][/img]

Primary concern:
Will siphon break during power outage?
Whats size of return pump needed?
Can I over-size the pipe?

Any comments from the experienced hobbyist please.
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.01.09(Fri)14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aspirated and everything. I'm impressed. You'll have to be careful about the how far below the surface the pipe is set, but otherwise... looks like a good design. Simple, but effective. I notice the poster considers the ball valves essential to keep the noise level down?
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.01.10(Sat)2:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I would be concerned with is that small round overflow looks like it can easily get blocked by an anemone or a dead fish or something, water in sump drops and then it burns your return pump out. I have always used a siphon overflow box to get water into the sump, with an adjustable notched overflow like this:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3579+3587+18358&pcatid=18358
PhyRaNNuS
Members

PostPosted: 2009.01.14(Wed)22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osprey wrote:
Aspirated and everything. I'm impressed. You'll have to be careful about the how far below the surface the pipe is set, but otherwise... looks like a good design.

as we can see in the youtube video, the inside pipe was set down to the bottom glass of the tank and the outside pipe is about 4" higher from the inside.

Simple, but effective.

Yeah I think so

I notice the poster considers the ball valves essential to keep the noise level down?

and also to control the water down to the sump. I gez..

PhyRaNNuS
Members

PostPosted: 2009.01.18(Sun)21:20    Post subject: Too much pressure on pump Reply with quote

I started doing my diy overflow with a design the same with the overflow in the attached video from Youtube. I did a test run over a 50gal plastic container and 10gals pail. At first, I only used an extension hose from the faucet to fill up the above container and test if the overflow won

Last edited by PhyRaNNuS on 2009.01.20(Tue)4:34; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.01.18(Sun)23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like an Eheim knock off...
As long as you are adding the valve AFTER the pump and not BEFORE the pump you should be okay. But keep in mind; reducing your pump's turnover rate is not really a desirable solution and that is still not going to solve the potential problem I mentioned earlier with that type of setup.
PhyRaNNuS
Members

PostPosted: 2009.01.19(Mon)0:22    Post subject: Transfer Reply with quote

Can you transfer this thread to DIY forum please..

What I like with this overflow is, the simplicity of its design, the pressure/volume of water going down to the sump and you don't just easily losing siphon eventhough u completely remove the unit outside the tank as long as you remain the unit vertically.
Do you think its OK if I can put a TEE from return line after the ballvalve to divert some of the water back to the sump so it will pass again the protein skimmer and eventually lessen the volume of the water that going back to the main tank?
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.01.19(Mon)9:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the tee. As I already stated my friend, I see a potential for disaster with this setup. I don't like messing around with DIY overflows, I've made them before, but there are some things that are better off being purchased in my opinion. It seems to me the flaws in this design have already made themselves apparent, and now you are already trying to modify it. That's why normal overflow boxes like the one I showed you have larger, multiple delivery tubes that are more suitable for the typical marine flow rates. For around $75.00 you can have a serious unit, so why risk it?
I have moved the thread as you asked, good luck.
PhyRaNNuS
Members

PostPosted: 2009.01.21(Wed)20:53    Post subject: sorry Reply with quote

mah bad. I'm sorry my friend. Its a PVC Tee plumbing fittings. thank you so much FB..
PhyRaNNuS
Members

PostPosted: 2009.01.26(Mon)1:48    Post subject: Planning the Sump Reply with quote

I already finished my diy overflow (pix will post soon) I am now planning the modification of my old 50gals glass tank to a sump.. The size is 36x18x18..
any advisable design (photos) of sump for this size?
Thnx..
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: