Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
coral problems, kenya tree pic
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
southernfish
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.01.18(Sun)21:23    Post subject: coral problems, kenya tree pic Reply with quote

3 weeks ago I got water from my LFS as I always do and did a water change. the next day a few of my corals didn't open all the way and with every day got worse looking. while I suspect I got some bad water I did another change a week later, not muc chaned. last night I did another change and my green star polyps seem to be coming around but not fully yet and the same with my torch coral. my alkalinty is a couple of gedrees low at 7kh and this is what my kenya tree looks like. just seems its getting worse and not coming around after being so healthy for months and months.

FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.01.18(Sun)21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you think this is related to the water change?
What are your latest nitrate readings...
southernfish
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.01.18(Sun)22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

latest nitrates were about 40ppm, the highest theve ever been and I havnt really done anything different as to routine ar made any changes other than over the past few months got a couple more fish. so my bioload is a little more. but my skimmer produces foam but its still clean.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.01.18(Sun)23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well unlike SPS corals, these softies do like some nutrients in the water, they actually feed on them. But having said that, let me quickly add; 40 ppm is high for many inverts, even dangerous. Most hobbyists with reef tanks and delicate inverts try to target a nitrate level below 5 ppm. Another possibility, the water change could have caused a rapid change in your salinity or pH, and possibly shocked the corals. I wouldn't do anything drastic or sudden, but keep an eye on those nitrates. You want to find the source of that high nitrate (likely your substrate is turning into a nutrient sink and causing this) and look to carefully creating better water quality for your inverts.

Last edited by FloridaBoy on 2009.01.21(Wed)9:57; edited 1 time in total
southernfish
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.01.18(Sun)23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

my wet dry sump was pretty dirty nd hd lots of solids in it settled at the bottom so I took it out last nightwhen I did a 7gal water change and cleaned it,my return pump and my skimmer pretty good. ill test nitrates tomorrow to see how much it helped and am going to try to get my refugium going soon.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.01.18(Sun)23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, with soft corals nitrates are a bit tricky; I think you have to find a happy medium for the species you are keeping. Some softies do better in tanks with higher dissolved organics, for example you can read this article by Noel Curry, Director of Propagation, Scientific Coral Corp in Atlanta. Noel reports the following observations...

"Soft corals tend to live in water that has a much higher nutrient load, ie more polluted. Many of them PREFER much more polluted water. The challenge is keeping a higher nutrient load without starting up the algae monster... our soft corals live in a very nutrient rich environment due to our heavy feeding of the fish, and they do very very well. In fact, we had very clean systems early on that had very little dissolved nutrients, and in the soft corals in many cases do not do well at all." more here:
http://www.Corals101.com/Information/Corals_Soft.htm
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: