Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Aqua C Remora Skimmer with different pump[Resolved]
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
tripwater
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.01.03(Sat)9:57    Post subject: Aqua C Remora Skimmer with different pump[Resolved] Reply with quote

Hello,

I am curious about something...if anyone out there has one or has experience with this skimmer, I am seeing that they can come with a maxi jet 1200 pump. Which is basically a powerhead.

In my 55 gallon tank right now I already have 2 powerheads one of which is penguin 1140 which is rated to move the same 300 GPH as the maxi jet. My question is this, can I just use the Penguin instead of buying the combo Aqua C with Maxi-jet? Would this work? Would this be a bad idea?

I looked at the pictures and I assume the skimmer hooks on like the under gravel filters on the bottom of the power head. Which both powerheads I am talking about taper off and should attach. This is my first skimmer so I am not sure how the powerhead/pump actually attaches and works with the skimmer (obviously).

Any thoughts on this would be great. Because if I can use the powerhead I have now, I can just order the skimmer without and save money.

Thank you for your time

Last edited by tripwater on 2009.01.16(Fri)13:38; edited 1 time in total
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2009.01.04(Sun)23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with that brand of powerhead, but assuming that it pumps the same volume of water, it should be okay. Really though, a maxijet power head is less than $20 and having the peace of mind of a reliable skimmer pump is worth a lot more than that to me. If you trust the pump, then no problem.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.01.05(Mon)12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I went ahead and got it with the Maxijet.
tripwater
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.01.16(Fri)13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a follow up I got the Remora and the Maxijet skimmer and it seems to be working like a charm. I am not an expert in skimmers, in fact this is my first, but I will say it seems to be working perfectly.

I would recommend this skimmer. Wink
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: