Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Really high dKH
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Ocean Hugger
Members

PostPosted: 2008.12.16(Tue)22:58    Post subject: Really high dKH Reply with quote

I had my water tested at my LFS (using Salifert tester)
pH- 8.3
NO3-0
NO2-0
calcium-450

he tested my dKH and its was at 16 twice the amont of natural sea water so I want tolower it to 10. How would I do this? thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.12.18(Thu)12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it carefully.
Are you dosing anything on a daily basis or using a reactor?
If you stop dosing for a few days I think it will slowly come down on its own. I think the most important thing is that you understand WHY you are getting that high reading in the first place. First, I would suggest getting one additional test from a different source just to be sure. Aside from false readings and errors in testing, there is a fair amount of confusion on carbonate hardness in the industry. Do some research on water chemistry in marine aquariums. Note the following comment form Holmes-Farley:

"Because of these potential points of confusion, in any discussion of alkalinity other than the total alkalinity, one needs to be very clear about the definitions being used... the various units used for alkalinity are themselves cause for confusion...

Finally there is the German term dKH (degrees of carbonate hardness), or just KH (carbonate hardness). Strictly speaking, it is the same as the carbonate alkalinity ( AC in equation 8 ) Unfortunately, it is a very confusing term, as it has nothing to do with hardness. Further, it has been corrupted by the marine aquarium hobby to mean the same as total alkalinity, and every test kit that tests for dKH with a single titration is giving total alkalinity. The only kit that I am aware of that even makes a distinction between carbonate alkalinity and total alkalinity is one of the Seachem kits (Reef Status: Magnesium, Carbonate, & Borate) and it thankfully doesn
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: