Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: Oscar aquarium size? Suitable tank mates?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Fish Guy
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.11.28(Fri)6:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Blood Parrot Cichlid (4-5'') With my Tiger Oscar(3'') Confused
tom495
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.11.28(Fri)8:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right I'm going to be putting my two oscars together I the coming month or so in a larger 100gal tank. I was hoping my smaller one would be bigger by the time I got this tank so they could go in to the new environment together I.e reducing aggression. but the big one has to go in this week as I have sold one of my other tanks. I don't know how I'm gonna do it now as the bigger one will take it as his own.

the two fish are 5" and about 8" but the larger is a stocky fish

Any ideas?

Thanks
Grekki
Members

PostPosted: 2009.03.28(Sat)20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom495 wrote:
Right I'm going to be putting my two oscars together I the coming month or so in a larger 100gal tank. I was hoping my smaller one would be bigger by the time I got this tank so they could go in to the new environment together I.e reducing aggression. but the big one has to go in this week as I have sold one of my other tanks. I don't know how I'm gonna do it now as the bigger one will take it as his own.

the two fish are 5" and about 8" but the larger is a stocky fish

Any ideas?

Thanks

My suggestion would be to invest in a divider for the intro phase. That way they can get useed to each other before they have any physical contact. Also, try to add the smaller one about 2-3 hours before the larger one. This will give the smaller fish the "home terf advantage". Before inserting the divider, let the little one select a terrotory and then divide from there, so that it also has the best territory. Better terf overall for the little guy means "smooth" sailing come initial contact. If it is any consolation, I have 4 Tiger Oscars myself. One is 8", his sister is 7", and I have 2 others (1 is albino) that are 4" with them and they all do fine. Also, I never used a divider at all and they really did not care that there were new arrivals. But then again, it all depends on the individuals involved.

oscardoc
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.10.06(Tue)16:46    Post subject: Oscar Cruelty Reply with quote

It has constantly amazed me the number of people abusing the venearable Oscar by housing them in small aquariums. After keeping Oscar's for 20 years I have come up with guidelines. For a juvenile(up to 5 inches) a tank from 30 to 50 us gallons is sufficient. As an Oscar grows rapidly (up to 10 inches in a year ) this small tank will not last long! It is far better to start with the big tank from the start. In my experience a fully grown Oscar (12+ inches) needs at ank of at least 80 gallons and for two a tank of 125 should be the minimum.@utting an Oscar in a tank it can hardly turn around equates to cruelty in my book especially for a fish that has soo much personality. Do the Oscar population a favor if you have a small tank pick another kind of Fish!!!
oscardoc
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.10.06(Tue)16:58    Post subject: Oscar Tankmates Reply with quote

Oscar tankmates can be hard to find I have had several Oscars who would kill anything and a feww who never bothered other tankmates. The tank mates I have had luck with are Jack Dempsey's Plecos African Cichlids Parrot cichlids. There is one situation I believe that there is no suitable tankmates that is with a pair of Oscars who are mating. I have a 350 gallon tank and I have never been able to get a tankmate that my two oscars will not tag team and ruthlessly assasinate!! Not even a pleco of almost 12 inches lived it took them a liitle longer with the pleco but being smart the two oscars found a way to team up and kill him !! I guess no matter what anyone suggests if you are tring to find a tankmate pick a fish store with a great return policy!! Because there is no other way than to pick one and see what happens.It is a good idea to rearrange the tank prior so as to disrupt the territory of the resident Oscar
Flip FIN
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.11.07(Sat)8:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

a nice long informative read on this post.. Very Happy

I'll set up a Oscar tank soon and I'm finding it hard to achieve the recommend 10x water turnover.. the tank is 100G and my filter is

-two canister -Hydor 238 gph, and the other will be 132 gph
-Two otto regular internal sponge filter 375 gph together

745/100 = 7.45 turnover .. Sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.11.07(Sat)8:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have enouht filtration to support an Oscar and maybe a pair but unless you already have these filters I would go with a good canister and one internal.
Osinga
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.19(Fri)0:36    Post subject: Re: Oscar Tankmates Reply with quote

oscardoc wrote:
I have a 350 gallon tank and I have never been able to get a tankmate that my two oscars will not tag team and ruthlessly assasinate!! Oscar

Have you posted any pics of this tank. I would love to see it.
xellos
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.27(Tue)12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rule of thumb is that every Oscar fish needs 30G of water at the BARE MINIMUM , lower volume per fish is inadequate and a higher volume per fish results in a healthier fish .
xellos
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.27(Tue)12:05    Post subject: Re: Oscar Tankmates Reply with quote

Osinga wrote:
oscardoc wrote:
I have a 350 gallon tank and I have never been able to get a tankmate that my two oscars will not tag team and ruthlessly assasinate!! Oscar

Have you posted any pics of this tank. I would love to see it.

Add a Jaquar cichlid and watch your Oscars cower in the corner Twisted Evil
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Jump to: