Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Giant danios
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
marcjacobs
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.08.14(Thu)7:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 30g cold water tank has three fantails and four Giant Danios. The Danios were recently moved from my 55g tropical tank. The Danios seem to be doing well in the tank with the goldfish. There is certainly less competition for food and they seem to enjoy the mixed diet that their tank mates do.

The temperature in the tank was 72f this morning.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.09.17(Wed)11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrontosaKing as u said:
Quote:
I disagree with this statement in some aspects. A majority of Plecos are not herbivores, but in fact the majority are omnivores. Some are even strict carnivores.

Have I said anything to contradict this?

And as u also said:
Quote:
I just feel that its not right to be assuming that because its considered an "algae eater", that it is herbivorous.

Are u trying to ascertain that I made this assumption...because according to my comprehensive abilities you seem to be very focused on this assumption yourself. As you have interpreted my words mistakably in such a way that it seems, you make it seem as if I have made this assumption.

If we recall correctly I stated:
Quote:
...but isn
Barchef
Regulars

Location: It changed but I'm not telling you where silly children. :)

PostPosted: 2008.09.17(Wed)18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to side with oscer here, as he has in the past given me excellent advice towards my pond. The shubukins there have grown a great deal as has the dojo loach and they have lived there for about a year, survived rather odd catastrophes, and are in excellent health.

I wouldn't call danios a strictly tropical fish. Some people I know have had some sucess keeping zebra danios in outdoor tub gardens in climates with temperatures ranging from the 90s or so to 60s, although the more extreme parts of the spectrum are not healthy for them if that temperature is sustained, (it is normally not). There are a couple of species of fish that can withstand a wide range of temperatures, such as guppies, white clouds, and paradise fish. I have kept guppies with extreme sucess in an outdoor tub garden.

The difference in diet is irrelevant. Flake foods are based on both algae and meat. There are many other dietary supplements to give for both, such as fresh vegatables or brine shrimp. Seeing as they favor different types of foods, competition becomes less of an issue.

As fish are cold blooded, temperature makes a difference in their level of activity. Anyone who has kept an outdoor type of aquatic setup can see this very well, I have had a pond for at least three years, in a wide degree of temperatures, and a tub garden for a couple of monthes now. I can say that shubukins were far more active in the blistering summers of the san fernando valley with its regular 90s-80s temperatures, sometimes venturing higher, than they were in the winters of the californian coastal range, in which sometimes the temperatures could drop into the 50s.

This is also true for guppies, a tropical species, who are being much more mellow now that the temperatures are dropping, and exhibited the same sort of behavior during cold days during the summer.

I see no reason not to recommend giant danios for a coldwater setup.
Barchef
Regulars

Location: It changed but I'm not telling you where silly children. :)

PostPosted: 2008.09.17(Wed)18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also kept slow moving goldfish such as fantails and black moors in the past with white cloud minnows, fathead minnows, and shubunkins, all fast moving fish. Even two frogs. They didn't really care, and said slow moving fish only became deceased because of moving stress, along with some of the faster ones, when I changed the pond location.

They are compatible with faster fish in my personal experience.
seds
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.11.08(Sat)23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I want to add some movement to my 30 gallon tank. It has 2 black moors and nothing else. How many (if any) giant danios could I fit? The moors are about 4 inches long maybe 5... I am bad at estimating size but it looks kind of empty.

Do they prefer plant cover?

If I added about 5, how does one ensure there is no ammonia spike? Introducing them one at a time?
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.11.08(Sat)23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two Moors is about all your tank can hold reasonably. Do not add anything more. You are sort of crowded already.

The normal fishload recommendation for Goldfish is a bare minimum of twenty gallons per fish. Goldfish, the fancy varieties as a Moor is, get about six or eight inches and live a minimum of five years and they are a very big bioload on the container. The old, and largely discredited, "inch per gallon" rule in no way makes any sense for Goldfish. How do you compare an inch of Tetra to an inch of Goldfish?
seds
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.11.09(Sun)17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.................

what about the guy on the top of this page? 3 goldfish AND 5 giant danios?? Is that a problem?

I thought it was 10 gallons per fish, with 20 being minimum. And sometimes, for commons, 30 minnimum, 20 for the first and 10 for each additional. Did I mention I do a 40% change every week?
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.11.10(Mon)1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. That many fish in a little tank is a problem.

I have seen "common Goldfish at 18 inches and well over a pound and a half in one year from feeder status. That is way too much fish for a small tank (any thing under a hundred gallons) and maybe they do not even belong in a tank.

Water changes are an accepted and normal part of fish keeping. Doing extra water changes does not relieve one from good husbandry practices. Water changes are not a substitute for too small a space for anything, so just because one goes overboard on water changes; a ten is way too small for a Goldfish and stunting can and does occur all of the time; not just until it seems as if the fish needs larger quarters or money is found to buy a larger tank.

How many fish is too many? How many Angels fit on the head of a pin? I do not have an answer but I know it when I see it. After a number of years and causing a lot of grief I have learned what may be a problem but I cannot tell you an easy guide or rule. I do know that any rule I have ever seen falls apart when reality hits. Understocking is always better than overstocking.
seds
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.11.10(Mon)13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah,, I got a second opinion at another forum and they agreed. Thanks anyways...

Eh, I guess I will have to wait till I can get another tank (I want a 55 or a 100+) That way I could get a bunch of small barbs and danios, or maybe move the moors into it and stock the 29 with small fish. If I got the 100+ I could move my tinfoils into a better home... Cool
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: