Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Calcium Media
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
mohit115
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.21(Sun)13:15    Post subject: Calcium Media Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a 300 lts marine tank with Damsels, clown, anemones and a brown coloured small fish whose name I don't know! The last time I went to my aquarium shop, the shop keeper sold me a 5 kg box of calcium media. I am not sure why I bought it, but guess the shopkeeper's a good sales person.
Anyways, I now have no idea if that's important enough for my tank. And if it is, then how to use it? I mean where to put it? I read somewhere about a calcium reactor, but I don't have one and I am not going to spend more purchasing it.

Please help!
art_of_war
Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.26(Fri)9:14    Post subject: Re: Calcium Media Reply with quote

mohit115 wrote:
Hi,

I have a 300 lts marine tank with Damsels, clown, anemones and a brown coloured small fish whose name I don't know! The last time I went to my aquarium shop, the shop keeper sold me a 5 kg box of calcium media. I am not sure why I bought it, but guess the shopkeeper's a good sales person.
Anyways, I now have no idea if that's important enough for my tank. And if it is, then how to use it? I mean where to put it? I read somewhere about a calcium reactor, but I don't have one and I am not going to spend more purchasing it.

Please help!

Well, I think your conversation with that salesguy got the worst of you. First off, Calcium media is important IF you have a reef tank. There's more to a Calcium reactor than just a cylinder to add media to. My suggestion is to NEVER go back there again or if you do, arm yourself with knowledge and research.

All you have is a FO or FOWLR tank and you have no need for that calcium media until you decide to 1. Add a strong lighting fixture to your tank. 2. start collecting stony corals. 3. get a calcium reactor/co2 tank/pH probe+monitor.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.09.27(Sat)19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohit115, calcium levels are important to the proper growth of coralline algae
art_of_war
Members

PostPosted: 2008.10.02(Thu)14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

FloridaBoy wrote:
mohit115, calcium levels are important to the proper growth of coralline algae
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.10.03(Fri)6:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reef Crystals
art_of_war
Members

PostPosted: 2008.10.03(Fri)9:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

FloridaBoy wrote:
Reef Crystals
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.10.03(Fri)12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm looking at about 200 gal for my next system too...
nothing wrong with designing a plan, shows wisdom.
art_of_war
Members

PostPosted: 2008.10.03(Fri)13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

FloridaBoy wrote:
Yeah, I'm looking at about 200 gal for my next system too...
nothing wrong with designing a plan, shows wisdom.

I did a break down of what my own plan will cost and I'll tell you something, it seems unrealisitc. My estimated cost would be around $10,000+ (total hardware construction; not including any livestock such as fish or coral). That's being conservative b/c I intend to buy/build everything brand new. It won't be completely self-sustaining but maintenance will definitely be kept to a minimum. However, no matter what, it'll always be more pleasant to look at a saltwater tank than a freshwater garbage disposal.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: