Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Golden Wonder Killie
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Killifishes and Killi Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
mbradley
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.08.07(Thu)16:30    Post subject: Golden Wonder Killie Reply with quote

I was in WalMart the other day and noticed Killies for sale. I purchased one Golden Wonder Killie. I was told that the fish was a community fish and should be fine in my 55 gallon tank.
I have Bluefin Killies in my tank. The males Bluefins are adults but not large. All the other fish I have are larger. After doing some research I am now concerned that this new Killie may eat my Bluefins? Should I be concerned? It is in the quarantine tank with a small guppy. This is where they will stay for the next 3 weeks. The Golden Killie has not hurt the guppie. The young guppie is smaller than the Bluefins. Should I be concerned about adding the new Killie to my main tank?
gm333
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.08.07(Thu)19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

This fish is always mislabeled at major chain stores. It will eat anything smaller than itself. I lost over 10 striped danios before realizing it was this guy that was the culprit.
He didn't eat them in the begining, he was too small, but he eventually got around 3.5". They are beautiful fish, but should be kept with larger species of community fish.

I actually caught him in the act for proof.

mbradley
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.08.08(Fri)6:23    Post subject: I guess I will need another tank Reply with quote

I guess I will have to purchase another tank for my BlueFins. Thanks
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.10.02(Thu)16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, that is an awesome photo!

If anyone out their is looking for a small(6 inches or less) but predatory fish this one fills the bill nicely.
plus all kinds of smaller containers
n00genmeister
Members

PostPosted: 2008.10.02(Thu)21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

would it eat swordtail/platy? those are not much bigger than danios ... I don't think it can fit a platy or a sword inside its mouth... and how about ram...?!
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.10.02(Thu)21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are all more broad bodied fish, danios are slim and torpedo shaped. But still, that doesn't take away their aggressiveness, they do tend to try and see if they can fit a fish in their mouth. We had one of ours try and fit an adult rosy barb in his mouth even though it's 2.5 inches and fighting the whole way. The Rosy got pretty nipped up. Confused
Members

PostPosted: 2008.10.03(Fri)8:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

darn and I really my pair of golden killi too, might have to return them at this rate =(
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.10.03(Fri)13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will need some fish more or less the same size as your golden wonders. IME gouramis like paradise fish do OK. 3 spots and a few others should fit the bill nicely. Nothing too aggressive...I ended up getting rid of my male after the female was killed by a pair of kribensis who spawned in the 46 gallon tank they were in.
plus all kinds of smaller containers
n00genmeister
Members

PostPosted: 2008.10.03(Fri)19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna freaking kill these fishes. they just killed my panda. I mean, they hunted and killed my panda. I went home and saw the male and female chasing after the wounded panda and they are only 3 inches...my panda is 1.5 inches...

!$%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!
topi
Members

PostPosted: 2009.09.12(Sat)21:18    Post subject: Re: Golden Wonder Killie Reply with quote

mbradley wrote:
I was in WalMart the other day and noticed Killies for sale. I purchased one Golden Wonder Killie. I was told that the fish was a community fish and should be fine in my 55 gallon tank.
I have Bluefin Killies in my tank. The males Bluefins are adults but not large. All the other fish I have are larger. After doing some research I am now concerned that this new Killie may eat my Bluefins? Should I be concerned? It is in the quarantine tank with a small guppy. This is where they will stay for the next 3 weeks. The Golden Killie has not hurt the guppie. The young guppie is smaller than the Bluefins. Should I be concerned about adding the new Killie to my main tank?

hi I've got a golden wonderer killi that roughly 4 inches!!! and I used to hav 6 male guppies that are smaller then danios and the killis mouth is fairly big but he didn't bother them or even try to but I hav seen others like gm333 so I guess it depends on the fish... How big are the other killies????
 Forum Index > Killifishes and Killi Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: