Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Marine Hermit crabs
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Aquaman212
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.22(Mon)15:14    Post subject: Marine Hermit crabs Reply with quote

I recently bought a saltwater aquarium. I need some information on saltwater hermit crabs and to know if they are right for me. I have a 40 gallon reef setup Smile
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.09.22(Mon)19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you must have them, stick with the smallest specimens you can find. The Blue-Legged Hermit Crab (Clibanarius tricolor) is probably your best bet as they do stay smaller and are "supposed" to eat mostly algae, but in my opinion all Hermit Crabs require careful selection and a wary eye, as they are opportunistic feeders (that's a nice way of saying fish killers).

In my opinion many mysterious fish "disappearances" can be attributed to hungry Hermit Crabs (they hunt actively at night when fish are sleeping). For this reason, larger Hermits should be completely avoided in most fish systems---and as you can see below, some of them do get large...

Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: