Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
fantail goldfish
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
yoh4n
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.18(Thu)15:05    Post subject: fantail goldfish Reply with quote

whats the smallest size tank you can put a fantail goldfish
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.09.18(Thu)15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends.

Usually a 20 for one.

They get large, messy and live many years.

Good filtration, food and water changes are important.
yoh4n
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.18(Thu)20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

can I keep a goldfish in a 10 gallon??
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.09.18(Thu)21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

yoh4n wrote:
can I keep a goldfish in a 10 gallon??

Cliff Mayes wrote:
Usually a 20 for one.

I would say no. As Cliff said, goldfish are very messy fish. Before I started learning about fish, I had a couple of goldfish in a 10g and they did not last long, poor things. Sad

Do you have a heater and filter for your tank? If so, you might want to consider something like guppies or a betta. Be sure to read the articles on cycling your tank (in the Articles section) and post in the Freshwater Basics once you come up with a list of fish you like (browse the Gallery section).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
yoh4n
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.18(Thu)22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know about that stuff and tropical fish I have a few bettas and 1 guppy that lives with my brothers guppies any suggestions on fish that can live in a 10gal. I like the goldfish cause I heard that they can remember who feeds them and they can be shy around people the don't know. I don't really like bettas because they can't live with eachother and I don't really like guppies cause there tails rip to easily. how long did your goldfish live in the 10gal?? I might be able to take my brothers 29 or my sisters 55gal but I think shes gonna use that for her arowana do whats the minimum size tank for an arowana??
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.09.18(Thu)22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
any suggestions on fish that can live in a 10gal

If you're looking for a coldwater fish, you might want to look at White Cloud Mountain Minnows. You can check out the Gallery on this site, also. Underneath the picture of the fish there's usually a box that states the minimum tank requirements.

Quote:
how long did your goldfish live in the 10gal??

About a week. If you're thinking of just setting up the tank, plopping a goldfish in, and seeing how long it lives, I wouldn't recommend it. Whether or not a fish can live is not the only thing to consider. A person could live in a closet, but would that person be happy?

Quote:
whats the minimum size tank for an arowana??

About 200 gallons or more.

A 55 gallon tank would be nice sized for goldfish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.09.19(Fri)17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 10 is only good for a Goldfish for a short time in the hands of a really expert, dedicated keeper. For most of us it is a recipe for disaster.

I have seen Arowanas that are well over 24 inches long. They take a large tank! Neat fish that can really jump and will eat live food. One fish of a species in a tank has never seemed right to me but a lot of the big fish will kill another fish in the same tank and one Arowana in a tank is plenty

55s have never been a favorite. They are cheap but are only 12 inches from front to back which does not give much room for planting or for a 12 inch plus fish to turn around in. 55s are popular and I have seen a lot of Plecos and Oscars housed in them over the years. Not housed too comfortably either. Oscars are really neat critters but they get a bad rap, I think, because they get stuck in a 55 with nothing to do all day long.

Remember that fish grow, regardless. The old saw that things only grow to the size of the container they are in is just wrong.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: