Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Protein Skimmer Help
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Liveinabox419
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.09.03(Wed)17:50    Post subject: Protein Skimmer Help Reply with quote

I just recently added water, live sand, and live rock to my 29 gallon. Equipment is a Rena XP2, one each of a Koralia 1 & 2, and a Aqua Euro Protein Skimmer, all running now. But, right now my tank is cloudy as all get out!! The sand just settles on the rocks so I brush it off, only to cloud the water more.

But anyway, the real problem , I think, is in the protien skimmer's collection cup is only water. Is that right?? Now there is an outlet in the cup, but I capped it because I don't know where it is suppose to drain. Is the protein skimmer messed up or what? And, what do I do about the cloudy water?

29 Gallon Reef Tank: 1 Black Percula, 1 TR Percula, 1 Yellow Watchmen & Pistol Shrimp, 1 Six-line Wrasse, 1 Cleaner Shrimp
gm333
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.09.04(Thu)6:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Protien skimmers need time to break-in before they start working in a consistant fashion. Plus you don't have any waste in the water yet if you just added it to the tank. Which model do you have? The only model I see with a drain is the rps-265. If so you need to drain it to a container. a lot of people use 2-liter bottles.
Liveinabox419
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.09.04(Thu)14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

The model is the new nano. My work gave it to me for $50 to try it out. But I figured because there wasnt anything in the water it wasnt pulling anything out. So the tank is clearing up alittle, but I keep moviing the rocks. lol Should I leave the skimmer running even though nothing is in there? And what should be the first live creature(s) I add??

29 Gallon Reef Tank: 1 Black Percula, 1 TR Percula, 1 Yellow Watchmen & Pistol Shrimp, 1 Six-line Wrasse, 1 Cleaner Shrimp
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.09.08(Mon)19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to make sure your tank is properly cycled,
the skimmer can interfere with this process in my opinion... I would suggest you research and understand the nitrogen cycle---the normal cycling period is about 3-4 weeks, water tests will confirm when it is safe to add your animals. Here's more:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/estbiofiltmar.htm
Liveinabox419
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.09.08(Mon)20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. It seems that cycleing a saltwater aquarium is alittle different than a fresh water one. So, I will continue with no live stock and monitor the Ammonia (which is just barely regestering) and keep a look out for those nitrates. But how long should I have my lights on during the cycleing proccess?

art_of_war
Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.12(Fri)10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liveinabox419 wrote:
Thanks. It seems that cycleing a saltwater aquarium is alittle different than a fresh water one. So, I will continue with no live stock and monitor the Ammonia (which is just barely regestering) and keep a look out for those nitrates. But how long should I have my lights on during the cycleing proccess?

never. Otherwise, you might get an unusual algae bloom.
Liveinabox419
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.09.12(Fri)14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, to add a source of ammonia, I am just adding old Cichlid Gold pellets and any left over juice I have from when I feed frozen food to my fresh. Is this okay? Or should I go about this another way?

What should be the first fish I add? I was trying to decide between a Coral Beauty or a Flame Angel. I also wanted to add a Royal Gramma, Firefish, and maybe a scooter blenny or Banggii Cardinal.

art_of_war
Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.12(Fri)16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liveinabox419 wrote:
Right now, to add a source of ammonia, I am just adding old Cichlid Gold pellets and any left over juice I have from when I feed frozen food to my fresh. Is this okay? Or should I go about this another way?

What should be the first fish I add? I was trying to decide between a Coral Beauty or a Flame Angel. I also wanted to add a Royal Gramma, Firefish, and maybe a scooter blenny or Banggii Cardinal.

How about not adding anything. If you have live rock and a couple powerheads, that's all you need.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.09.12(Fri)23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liveinabox419 wrote:

I would avoid sensitive species like Angelfish for at least 6 months, until your system achieves a natural balance and you are sure of a problem-free system. It is also very important for you to set up and cycle a quarantine tank at this time, and use if for all new arrivals. The so-called Scooter Blenny is not a true blenny but a dragonet (like the Mandarin), and it's a terrible choice for a new tank due to its penchant for live foods. A good first fish would be a small clown or a single blue damsel. Please review these links on livestock choices and things a beginner should know:
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=17688
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=24970&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: