Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Curious about Dragonflys
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
blamus
Members

PostPosted: 2008.07.21(Mon)12:29    Post subject: Curious about Dragonflys Reply with quote

Since I built my pond I have almost been as entertained with the ecosystem change as with keeping the fish themselves. I've had great luck to never have any local predators show up for a quick meal and all in all it has been a very worthwhile venture.

That said I am curious about the dragon flys. They are just starting to show up and don't seem to be causing any problems but I don't know a thing about them so I figured I would throw it out there and see if there is anything I should be looking out for. Currently I have two who seem to have made my pond their home base. A very large reddish one, and a significantly smaller blue one.

(Not sure if color makes a difference)
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.07.21(Mon)16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any small, teensy fish? Like under 1 inch in there? The dragonflies themselves pose little risk to fish since they aren't quick enough or the right type of bug to catch the fish. It is their children that you need to watch out for. Dragonfly nymphs will eat pretty much anything they can, from small goldies to tadpoles to each other.
Regulars

Location: It changed but I'm not telling you where silly children. :)

PostPosted: 2008.07.24(Thu)0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonetheless they are very cool because they are like your own residential pet control. I have a couple guest dragonflies that snatch mosquitos and other obnoxious insects right out of the air. So badass!

The nymphs are another story though. If you see any, either seperate them or massacre them. They are annoying and have eaten some of the white clouds I used to have in my pond Sad.

Nonetheless the actual dragonflies are attractive insects that serve as your own personal pest control.
BrokenAquarian
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.07.24(Thu)15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonfly nymphs are a good pest control and very efficient at getting rid of mosquito larvae. They will not hurt your fish unless the fish are only about an inch long.

I would rather have nymphs than minnows - but that's just my personal preference. Very Happy
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: