Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Bad behavior
 Forum Index > Site Issues  Reply to topic   Post new topic
art_of_war
Members

PostPosted: 2008.07.01(Tue)8:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

dale wrote:
Hi Mark,
Here's a link to an article I wrote re: filtration for small SW tanks
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_small_aquarium_filter.php

As FB and Pete have indicated a 30 G. would be fine for a first tank as long as you recognize the limitations it imposes (limited stocking) and don't go against it. IMO a nice first time tank that should succeed at that size, without a sump or skimmer, and give you an idea of SW husbandry would be to stock a pair of false perc. clowns (no anemone), a cleaner shrimp and some hermits and snails. This will give you the experience of water changes, salt mixing, testing water parameters and most importantly, controlling your feeding regime.

I don't really understand AofW's recommendation either (but I do remember him from 2006). I usually try to avoid such black and white answers and the protestation that I know the right way to do things. There is no such thing really as a wrong set up, just a set up used in a wrong way. An 80G. tank is an odd size (?) and excludes the much more common 75G. which is fine for SW. Yes 30G. is small, and if you enjoy SW you will upgrade, but many people run them as FO's without sumps until they are ready to invest in a larger, more costly set up. By then hopefully, you will have a better idea of the livestock that interests you and the system you will need to invest in. All the livestock in the 30G. can then be added to the larger tank without compatability issues.
(BTW What butterfly would one recommend to a beginner?)

gale,

I'm sure you remember me. A butterfly for a beginner? The answer is none. I doubt you'll want to put one in a 30 gallon either. As for 80 gallons? That's not a b/w answer. It's a middle of the road response as most who have been in the hobby for far longer would recommend nothing smaller than a 55 for beginner.

Mark,

Go to www.reefcentral.com. Trust me. Ask those guys there.
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.07.01(Tue)10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art of War,
You have intentionally misspelled members names in the past as a way of insulting them. This (and other negative) behavior won't be tolerated on the board. You are entitled to hold different opinions and defend them intelligently however degrading posts or posters will not be tolerated.
Clean it up or you will find more of your posts here.
Dale.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.07.01(Tue)11:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good catch Dale... I missed that one, though only from speed reading the reply.

Let's not take things so personally on a fish forum that we feel a need to insult those who don't agree with us Art of war.
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: