Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
LED Lighting
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
azadean
Members

PostPosted: 2008.03.04(Tue)19:32    Post subject: LED Lighting Reply with quote

Hello all

I'm beginning preparations for a reef marine tank and am wondering if anyone has heard of LED (light emmitting Diode) type lighting for a marine tank.

I know that individual led's have a very narrow colour spectrum, and variable viewing angles but am thinking if you had some sort of Led board that had multiple different colour spectrum leds with a wider viewing angle in clusters then this could be a feasable option.

In addition the reduced heating and running costs would be of great benifit to us fiskeepers. I think that it would take a bit of experimentation but want to know others thoughts.
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.03.04(Tue)20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

PFO Lighting makes LED light fixtures. Apparently they can produce the same lighting as MH, but with half the power. They also offer considerably more control over illumination then your traditional bulbs.

But they are currently expensive given the technology is relatively new.
azadean
Members

PostPosted: 2008.03.04(Tue)21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew, youre not wrong there, they are very expensive. I have worked in the electronics industry in the past and think that I may investigate making my own.

Would be a great project on its own.
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.03.04(Tue)22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into this a while ago and decided it wasn't worthwhile if you are looking to solve heat and power consumption issues.

If you ran an LED fixture next to a MH fixture that puts off comparable amount of light, it would take close to 10 years to offset the initial costs of the fixture, including power savings and replacement bulbs (don't quote me on that: it's been almost a year since I was researching it). This means it would take 10 years to even equal the affordability of a metal halide if you bought an LED fixture. Most people don't even keep a tank running that long.

As far as heat goes, a $15 computer fan will solve almost anything. I have 500 watts of metal halide 6 inches over my 90 gallon and the single stock computer fan wasn't enough. I would have 5 degree F swings when the lights would go on and off. I simply installed an extra fan and now there is no temperature difference between day and night.

On the other hand, if you were able to design an affordable an efficient heatsink for the LEDs and you found a supplier for high intensity LEDs at a reasonable price, you might be on to something. I would love to see some of the commercially available fixtures come down in cost.
Members

PostPosted: 2008.06.26(Thu)10:02    Post subject: Re: LED Lighting Reply with quote

azadean wrote:
Hello all

I'm beginning preparations for a reef marine tank and am wondering if anyone has heard of LED (light emmitting Diode) type lighting for a marine tank.

I know that individual led's have a very narrow colour spectrum, and variable viewing angles but am thinking if you had some sort of Led board that had multiple different colour spectrum leds with a wider viewing angle in clusters then this could be a feasable option.

In addition the reduced heating and running costs would be of great benifit to us fiskeepers. I think that it would take a bit of experimentation but want to know others thoughts.

aza,

You know...actually this is sort of an interesting subject of debate. The solaris systems (LED lights) are expensive and are only good to support soft to LPS corals. They do simulate all sorts of lighting and can be programmed. However, they are CRAP. I know; trust me I know. I heard people say they can support SPS but based upon what I saw? I doubt it. The PAR levels may be there but they cannot simulate the rippling effects that metal halides can.

Recently however, I was in one of my LFSs in our area and they are pilot testing some T-8 size LED lights; a series of like 100 odd little LED bulbs streamed on a T-8 size bulb. It requires NO balast; uses very little wattage (something like 15 watts); dissipates approximately 90 F degrees of heat (which if you don't know...is NOT hot since you can touch it while they're lit and also considering T-5's can get around 150 F and Metal Halides even higher); the tubes themselves are virtually indestructible (I know b/c I've seen them dropped on the floor); somewhat inexpensive; the 48" 'bulbs' have an intensity equivalent to 130 watts and require very little retrofitting hardware and practically lasts forever.

This all sounds strange but it's true. The development is nearly complete and I've actually seen these up close in comparison to T-5's, original T-8's and Metal Halides and they really are a win-win solution.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: