Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New Pond
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
wyattdurney
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.06.03(Tue)22:32    Post subject: New Pond Reply with quote

I want to get a pond for my backyard. A preformed one! Never had one... Any suggestions?!?! Confused
MackEmmons
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.06.03(Tue)23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO bigger would be better, go as big as you can. This would solve many more problems that it would create. Deeper is likely to be a better option as well to give the fish a place to escape any predators.
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.06.03(Tue)23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the problem I have with preformed ponds is the difficulty of putting them in and you can only go with that shape. Also, a lot have those little shelves that give predetors good places to perch.

If you can, get a pond with steep sides without a ledge so that racoons and the like can't wade in to catch your fish.

For goldfish, I would go with at least a 300 gallon (they should be premarked) for a nice sized pond with nice decoration and a healthy bunch of goldies. For koi, you'll have issues finding a preformed pond over 1,000 gallons so I'd cross those off your wishlist if you stick with preformed.
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.06.04(Wed)7:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

We live in an apartment so there are no predators that could get to the pond in the yard. I was thinking of something around 150 gallons? Is that way to small? I was also wanting some advice on pumps filters and other key components that I might need.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: