Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Elassoma okefenokee?
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
keeno
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.05.21(Wed)5:42    Post subject: Elassoma okefenokee? Reply with quote

I was just surfing www.thedigitalfishroom.com when I caught sight of this absolutely stunning fish. I was like, "OMG," and it turns out that it is the Okefenokee Pygmy Sunfish.
I was wondering, is it basically the same thing as the sunfish that we have in our gallery, only a different species? I can't find much info on google other than the fishbase page.

Thanks,
Kennoob
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.05.21(Wed)16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Okefenokee and Everglades pygmy sunfush (E. zonatum) are two different species, but are very similar. The main difference is location. Okefenokee swamp - south Georgia...Everglades - south Florida. Both do well in aquaria if kept correctly (as many fish do). Both can be found in the same location though, and with them next to each other, the differences can be seen.
Nice little fish, especially if someone wants to set up a small tank stuffed with plants.
Sometimes scientific names and common names are confused with these - Banded/Everglades pygmy, Elassoma zonatum / E. evergladei, etc. Can get confusing... I actually think there is a species or subspecies (not sure which) of an Alabama version...?
keeno
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.05.22(Thu)1:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I got it. Thanks! I'm hoping to get these laaater, with some possible shipments of A. elizabethae 'Red/Blue CF' from Zack.
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.05.23(Fri)16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeno, I have very limited time n the internet, and what time I do have is on dail-up, so I haven't been able to look up much stuff. However, today at work - I was able to spend a little time in our reference room where we have many preserved specimins. I got out all of the Elassoma sp. Okefenokee, Everglades(E. evergladei) and banded(E. zonatum) are all three different species. The difference isn't terrible, but in general it is easy if you have them side-by-side... not so much in the wild.
Anyways, they are all beauties- I think and would be really fun I bet. However, I have heard they like to stay hidden in the plants until food dropps then they turn into little crazies.[/I]
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.05.23(Fri)16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeno, I have very limited time n the internet, and what time I do have is on dail-up, so I haven't been able to look up much stuff. However, today at work - I was able to spend a little time in our reference room where we have many preserved specimins. I got out all of the Elassoma sp. Okefenokee, Everglades(E. evergladei) and banded(E. zonatum) are all three different species. The difference isn't terrible, but in general it is easy if you have them side-by-side... not so much in the wild.
Anyways, they are all beauties- I think and would be really fun I bet. However, I have heard they like to stay hidden in the plants until food dropps then they turn into little crazies.[/I]
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.05.25(Sun)20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an article on the NANFA site. NANFA Article: Four Species of Pygmy Sunfish
I love this site, I also belong to the NANFA forum since my days of tropical keeping is coming to a hault. This briefly describes some of the species and aquarium care. Most of the pygmies are high-care level fish... but if you have a mature, no current tank that is stuffed full of plants and you can feed live food - then I think you are good. Anyways, just in case anyone is interested in pygmy sunfish keeping.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: