Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Upgrade filter...Need Help!!
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
AJS
Members

PostPosted: 2008.04.23(Wed)8:18    Post subject: Upgrade filter...Need Help!! Reply with quote

I am looking to upgrade my whisper 40 filter to either a Emperor or Penguin Bio-wheel for starting a new 39 gallon saltwater tank.

Which is the best between the two? From what I have read, the Penguin is a little better for noise control.

Any suggestions will help.

Thanks, AJS
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.04.25(Fri)16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi AJS,
When it comes to filters everyone has their own opinion. The best advise is to try to understand the reasoning behind the opinion and see if it makes sense.
For myself I would not buy either of those filters for a SW application. A Bio wheel is not recommended for SW that incorporates live rock. There is a lot of info about using artificial bio media for SW on the net but, in short, live rock is far more efficient and the bio wheel may tend to stop turning with the build up of salt creep (evaporated salt crystals). The Whisper series doesn't impress me with its disposable filter pads that will have to be cleaned frequently for SW applications. It will be an expensive filter to maintain.
If you want a HOB (hang on back) type of filter I would recommend the Aqua clear series, especially with an accessory called a surface skimmer. The sponge will last for a long time, it is easy to add carbon or phosphate remover and the filter is very easy to clean.
Another common filter I see in my travels is the Fluval cannister filter. They are easy to clean as well, can be tucked under the cabinet and are more silent than HOB's. They can also be fitted with a surface skimmer attachment.
The main point to remember when using a power filter (regardless of brand) is that they need to be cleaned frequently so a model that is quick and reliable should be considered.
Here's a link to an article I wrote showing how a power filter can be used on a small SW tank.
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_small_aquarium_filter.php
Percula9
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.04.26(Sat)11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your going to put in a canister, I recommend the Rena Filstar over the Fluval. A canister would be a better choice over a hang on the back.
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.04.26(Sat)11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Percula,
Why would you recommend a Rena over a Fluval? Providing some qualification is far more valuable to someone trying to make a decision than a simple blank statement (see my post above).
I recommend Fluvals because, as an Aquarium maintenance service provider, I work on about 15 tanks that run Fluvals as their mechanical filtration without issue. I find them reliable and easy to maintain. The models are usually 305's, 405's or FX-5's. I also run a FX-5 as the main filter on my own tropical reef.
AJS
Members

PostPosted: 2008.05.02(Fri)11:37    Post subject: Suggestions were helpful Reply with quote

Thanks for helping me with that!!!
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: