Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Nano UV steriliser
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Subligaria
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.04.26(Sat)7:58    Post subject: Nano UV steriliser Reply with quote

Hi,

Does anyone know of a UV steriliser available (in the UK) for a 48-litre (Resun) nano tank?

The standalone units I've seen cost around
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.04.26(Sat)19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any specific reason why you want a UV sterilizer on your nano? Often they do little to help marine tanks when they are properly cared for, and in some cases they can be bad, such as when a pod-eater (which most nano fish are) lives in the tank.

Sorry that I cannot recommend a specific model for you though.
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.04.27(Sun)8:10    Post subject: Nano UV steriliser Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm trying to get rid of algae (especially hair algae). I've been told a UV steriliser would help with this . . .

What's a pod eater?
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.04.28(Mon)17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any fish (or invertebrate) that eats copepods and amphipods as part of its main diet, such as mandarins, small gobies, etc. is sometimes referred to as a pod eater.

I wouldn't use a UV sterilizer for hair algae, especially since it isn't a water-borne type of algae. Have you tested your water for nitrates, nitrites, or phosphates? Hair algae is a common stage in the maturing process of an aquarium, and it is fairly easily controlled by carefully feeding and controlling your nutrient load.
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.04.28(Mon)23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

usually a UV sterilizer = waste of money
Subligaria
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.04.29(Tue)6:50    Post subject: Nano UV steriliser Reply with quote

Nitrite is <0.3; pH is 8.0. Don't have a Phosphate testing kit -- is it worth getting one?

My feeling was that hair algae is a phase in tank maturation -- I've seen it in a coldwater BiOrb. Thanks for confirming this. I've reduced the light a lot, and that has cut it down considerably (and diminished algae generally).
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.04.29(Tue)8:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had it in my tank, starting when the tank was about 3 months old, up until about a month ago (the tank is one year old now). I still have minor traces of it, but nothing to worry about. I combated it using a phosban reactor, running activated carbon, and doing frequent water changes. I also feed very infrequently now.

In a nano tank, much of the above would be overkill. I recommend doing weekly water changes using RODI water instead of tap water. It makes a big difference.

As far as a phosphate test kit being worthwhile, I would say "yes". They cost under $10 in most fish stores, and most last for ages. If you are only testing once every week or so, the last quite a while.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.04.30(Wed)3:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

FloridaBoy wrote:
usually a UV sterilizer = waste of money

Laughing How come? I'm just curious really, don't have a marine tank anymore...
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.04.30(Wed)15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flame Angel,
it's only my opinion, but I just think the attempt at "radiation of micro-organisms" is usually a waste of money in the average marine aquarium. Bottled water plants use them, and they do have some good applications in other areas. I don't want to sound completely negative, that's why I said they are "usually" a waste of money.

UV sterilizers do just that, they "sterilize." But marine aquariums by their nature are not "sterile" environments.

They do reduce algae, but I think there are often better solutions to algae problems than radiation. They kill good bacteria along with the bad bugs, and I don't think they will completely knock out an ich infestation like some people might assume. They also require regular maintenance to be effective for the long term, and even then---the bulbs get weak and often go un-replaced for years.

There are also some experts who think they have an negative impact on the natural immunity of fish when exposed to long term UV filtered systems, here's more on that...
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/AqBizSubWebIndex/bizuvs.htm
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.05.02(Fri)0:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh okay, thanks I can see what you mean.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: