Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Brand new to Salt water, need help!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jay1982
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.04.29(Tue)19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael L. wrote:
Run both of them to your sump. If you choose to run a remote refugium, you can also plumb one of them to that.

I would have to see the cracked aquarium to tell you if it is safe. I would not use it though as a general rule. There is too good of a chance that it will crack, which can be a death sentence for an aquarium. If you still wish to use it, I woudl recommend getting a piece of glass cut about the size of the crack (maybe a bit bigger), smearing it with a thick layer of silicone, and sticking it on to the crack like a patch. This would probably provide way more support than just some silicone. Remember that the crack is probably going to spread eventually, and it is not easy to empty a running sump.

Michael, I'll do that for the sump/plumbing.

As for the crack, I'll draw it out for you in this image:
http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/2131/crackedaquariumkq7.jpg
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.04.29(Tue)20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd bet you could get a piece of glass cut for that for under $50. I didn't realize it was on a small side of your tank. This would give you some peace of mind, and the ability to fill your sump higher, which is better.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.04.30(Wed)0:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect, I'll do that. I'm buying some arcylic in the morning to use as baffles. I read that silicone doesn't stick well with arcylic, do you know of anything that bonds well with both, that is sold in canada? Bostik titan bond plus was recommended on a site, but I can't find it here in canada.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: