Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: Raising/Lowering Hardness (GH and KH)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
High Voltage
Members

PostPosted: 2006.07.18(Tue)13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celaeno wrote:
Figured this is the best place to post my questions...

Out of the tap, my water has a pH of 8.4, and according to the site I read on Austin water, our water is moderately hard. However, it seems like the pH in my twenty gallon tank has fallen very rapidly-right now it seems to be between 6.6 and 6.8. I haven't added any buffers to it, there are no rocks, and the gravel was approved for aquarium use, and new water is added every week with the water changes. The only thing I can think of in the tank that might affect it are the two terra cotta pots I have in there-they were purchased new from Wal-Mart, so I thought they'd be safe.

So does anyone have any suggestions on what's causing it/what to do? I guess the recent rain could also lower things, but as I said, the pH is high coming out of the tap.

That is a bt surprising. I'm in North Austin and the measured parameters here are:

pH..7.4
KH...6.7deg (120ppm)
Gh...6.7deg (120ppm)

My pH and Gh are lower in the tank (6.4 and 75 respectively) but thats because of the CO2 injection. I havent heard of pots causing an issue but I suppose it is possible. If I suspected the pots I would try removing them for a time. Have you measured your tanks KH?
DwarfPuffer
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.03.10(Mon)0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

my tank GH < 3.
May I know whats the main cause and whats the solution?
Some said its because of the CO2 injection, is that true?
DwarfPuffer
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.03.13(Thu)22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all gurus,

Specs:
Tank Size - 2.5 feet
Nutrafin CO2
Canister Filter
50% planted with stems

The current water from tank chemistry:
Nitrites = < 10mg/l
Nitrates = 0 mg/l
GH = < 3'd
KH = 6 - 10d
pH = 6,4

The current water from house tap water:
Nitrites = < 10mg/l
Nitrates = 0 mg/l
GH = < 3'd
KH = < 6d
pH = 6,4

I'm using JBL 5 in 1 test kit currently for testing the water chemistry and now in the 3rd day of silent cycling process. My question is, according to the test kit, GH < 3'd are not OK, so is there any way to increase the GH level?
I'm quite confused with all the methods in this thread.

Montana girl
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.10.16(Thu)10:49    Post subject: Dealing with softened household water Reply with quote

I have had my 20 gal. freshwater tropical community tank stuffed with established annubias set up here in north central Montana for a year. Now we will be installing a water softener but will have a cold hard water tap. I don't want to upset the chemistry of my tank using the softened water, and believe that the plants benefit from the high mineral content of our well water, hard and alkaline as it is. My question is, when I do a water change, which is usually 1/4 to 1/3 of the total, how do I warm up that cold hard water? I am so used to just adjusting the temp. from the tap. I usually run my tank at 76 degrees. By the way, a year ago I moved here from Western Washington, where for sixteen years I ran a variety of freshwater tanks on well water. But this stuff is hard getting used to. The build-up of calcium on the cover glass and rim of the tank is hard to deal with! Any ideas? Thanks to any who can help me!
Sad Heart
Members

PostPosted: 2009.02.04(Wed)10:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was growing up I used water from roof run off. Shocked

Anyway, it was always cold. So I took a quart of the water out of the bucket and boiled it. Added it to the water until it was the right temperature. It works every time. But I would suggest only a couple quarts at a time, because I think I read boiling removes oxygen or something beneficial.

Until, a better idea comes along. There ya go!
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Jump to: