Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
See-Through Fish Help Cancer Research
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Aquarium Science  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.02.07(Thu)15:41    Post subject: See-Through Fish Help Cancer Research Reply with quote

Hot on the heels of the last topic: " Ethics for the use of fishes in research"

From SlashDot
Quote:
"What is transparent, swims, and helps cure cancer? Caspar the friendly fish — a zebrafish bred with a see-through body to make studying disease processes easier for rapidly changing processes such as cancer, Zebrafish are genetically similar to humans in many ways and serve as good models for human biology and disease. In one experiment, researchers inserted a fluorescent melanoma tumor into the abdominal cavity of the transparent fish and by observing the fish under a microscope, they found that the cancer cells started spreading within five days and could actually see individual cells spreading. "The process by which a tumor goes from being localized to widespread and ultimately fatal is the most vexing problem that oncologists face," says Richard White, a clinical fellow in the Stem Cell Program at Children's Hospital Boston. "We don't know why cancer cells decide to move away from their primary site to other parts in the body." Researchers created the transparent fish[/url], (photo) by mating two existing zebrafish breeds, one that lacked a reflective skin pigment and the other without black pigment. The offspring had only yellow skin pigment, essentially appearing clear."

Broken imbeded Link
http://tinyurl.com/2yf65e

Last edited by Irons on 2008.02.08(Fri)5:45; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.02.08(Fri)2:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from the same page;
Freakiest Lab Animals

I mean was that really necessary??

What did science try to prove with this "Human ear on the mouse back" experiment???

I can understand the see-through fish experiment, it can save our race, right.?
But the mouse with a human ear attached to its back... that is sick!

Regards, Dusko.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.08(Fri)2:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

That link doesn't explain it, but it was originally done with the idea of replacing ears and noses in reconstructive surgery. It's actually a mold with the shape of a human ear used to shape the growth of cow cartilage. It's not an actual human ear.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/moments/s1644154.htm
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.02.08(Fri)3:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right in that case I wouldn't mind having an extra ear on my back Laughing
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.08(Fri)4:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol dusko.
I'm personally still very torn about scientific research on animals. I know in some cases it's irreplaceable and it's an invaluable tool and blah blah blah all that stuff, but I can't help feel sorry for animals and wish that we had never ventured down that path.
CAllain
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.08(Fri)7:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slimy, I have to say I'm in kind of the same position. Personally, I've had to try to stop thinking about it. If there were viable alternatives, I'd like them used, but in a lot of cases there aren't. I do feel sorry for the animals, and some of the images I've seen have made me sick to the stomach, but I do tend to be one of those people that just sits on the fence...
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.08(Fri)9:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm torn on the subject... part of my hesitation stems from the fact that some animals don't always respond the same way a human being would. Something that works on one animal might not always work on a human, and vice versa.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.02.08(Fri)9:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

invisible fish or purposefully deformed animals is a bit different than the usual objections to animal testing.

I mean, these animals haven't been harmed by being see through, nor having an ear on it. Yet...

The harm comes to the zebrafish when they are "given cancer".

Is making a fish sick ever OK?
CAllain
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.08(Fri)11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The harm comes to the zebrafish when they are "given cancer".

And this is the part in this case that really gets to me... It's not right to give this fish cancer, but then again, cancer is one of the biggest killers of people and animals, and if this helps to understand it can it be justified?

I don't really like it, but at the same time I don't feel I'm in a position to decide whether it's right or wrong...
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.02.08(Fri)12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we can/or should do much about fish used in science.
I mean we need science, we depend on it. In a case we personally get sick or our kid, parent we wouldn't hesitate, but if asked, probably would give our fish away for that research just to save our beloved ones.

But we sure can make a change in this aquarium trade, trade that we dictate as customers.
I am repeating my self, I know, but that is a problem we could and should discus on regular basis.
That is a problem existing thanks to us.
Lets not focus on fixing problems scientists have created, instead lets fix problems that we have created, by supporting this trade.

Fresh/brackish water fish that is suffering daily thanks to this hobby is waiting for us to create a priority. Marine forums have discussions about how to save coral reefs for example and are focused on buying only aquarium bred ones.

We compare fish food industry with fish in science and ornamental fish trade... if you ask me, way to many directions and excuses can be created this way.

I believe we can do a sirius change if focused on our own problems (Ornamental fish trade).
So many newbies come to join AoA daily. So many can be informed about the facts. So many could know that buying fish that was imported from long distances means supporting an unethical trade.
So many could know if we keep focus on our problem.

AoA is very passionate when it comes to tank cycling, fish stocking, compatibility, and I am very proud of it, but I feel that we (responsible fish-keepers) should start expanding our passion and realising the terrifying truth happening behind the curtains of responsible fish-keeping, that many aren't aware of.

I am not attacking this topic Irons Smile I apologise if it sound so, far from it.
I am just trying to use every single opportunity that is connected to ethics, and highlight what is pretty much connected to us.
Also I am sorry if this sounds like preaching, not my intention.
The bitterness you might feel comes from my work, from me facing the reality daily. Aquarium fish does suffer and I believe we can do some changes.

Kind regards, Dusko.
 Forum Index > Aquarium Science All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: