Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Dwarf gourami disease?
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Luna
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.12.12(Wed)17:08    Post subject: Dwarf gourami disease? Reply with quote

I can't remember for the life of me where I read about dwarf grouamis being susceptible to a specific disease. Can anyone help me out?

The reason I ask is because my DG just died and I couldn't identify the cause in time. The only symptoms were lethargy and sunken eyes and head. (The rest of his body looked normal but the area between the eyes and the dorsal fin was sunken in, as well as the area around the eyes, not the actual eye.) I should have posted something sooner, but I just did not have time and it probably wouldn't have helped anyway. The onset of symptoms was too slow for me to notice until it was too late. If I can identify the cause, I might be able to prevent my other fish from contracting the disease. (Treat tank with antibiotics or whatever? that sort of thing.)
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.12.12(Wed)22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusko posted this link back in the beginning of November:
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.CO2.uk/pfk/pages/item.php?news=1139

Sorry to hear about your Dwarf Gourami Luna. Sad
Luna
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.12.13(Thu)16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacko wrote:
Dusko posted this link back in the beginning of November:
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.CO2.uk/pfk/pages/item.php?news=1139

Sorry to hear about your Dwarf Gourami Luna. Sad

That's it! I was searching for the wrong terms. Thanks Jacko.

And crap... this may mean bad things for my tank. Stupid fish.

Here is the University of Florida study referenced in the PFK magazine. The other articles/studies are referenced at the end of the PFK article.
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.12.15(Sat)2:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reply posted in the Site Issues;

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=306317#306317

Topic Split

Regards, Dusko.
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.12.15(Sat)8:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

The New York Times this morning had an article about fish farms in China. It discussed the farmed fish we eat and had nothing good to say. Massive amounts of fish grown in "murky brown water" also described as 'toxic' because tehy polluted with industrial waste, agricultural runoff and sewage. To combat fish mortality farmers use vast amounts of "illegal veterinary drugs and pesticides". The article goes on to say;

"Environmental degradation, in other words, has become a food safety problem, and scientists say the long-term risks of consuming contaminated seafood could lead to higher rates of cancer and liver disease and other afflictions".

I figured I'd throw this in here because the same thing is happening in tropical fish farms for the aquarium market. Too many fish are inbred, raised in poor water, thus spreading disease. All in order to make a short term buck. I'd equate these farms with puppy mills.

As we all grow up in the aquarium hobby, grow to love and learn more about the fish, perhaps aquarium clubs will grow and local breeders will be able to supply more and more fish to concerned aquariasts. Until then, since fish are sooo cheap, I fear that not much can be done. For most people, it is too easy to just go buy another gourami to replace the dead one...

I'm sorry you lost your gourami luna,
Cathy
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.12.15(Sat)12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Until then, since fish are sooo cheap, I fear that not much can be done.

I believe lots can be done Smile If you as customer of mine would refuse buying SEAsian fish that is cheap, I would be forced to change my policy, and start ordering fish from local breeders, that cost a bit more indeed.

If you are ready as a customer to pay more I (LFS) can make it happen.

Quote:
For most people, it is too easy to just go buy another gourami to replace the dead one...

But there are just a few that refuse to buy for example wild caught species, huge majority requests even lower prises making my boss traveling to SEAsia to make better and cheaper deals, WHY you say?

Because if we don't lower the prises the LFS next door WILL!!

As I stated already, it is WE, customers, that can change this flow!!

One man can start an idea, but many are needed for an idea to be implemented. But it IS POSSIBLE!

The same way 95% of AoA members ,give immediate advice about cycling and overstocking, the same way WE can do this; Advice people to request from their LFS ordering from local breeders, even though it will cost more.

But the question IS;

ARE WE READY TO PAY MORE, SO FISH COULD HAVE A BETTER
FUTURE??
Wink

Quote:
I'm sorry you lost your gourami luna,

Don't get me wrong, but I am not sorry this Gourami died, but I would be very sorry if this Gourami of yours died in vein and no one did anything to change things for the future species involved in this hobby.
I believe this Gourami of yours died with purpose. I believe it's death started the WHEEL OF CHANGE.
We can do it together, all you have to do is BELIEVE Smile and ACT ! TOGETHER !

Lets make this Responsible fish-keeping indeed HAPPY Very Happy

Kind regards, Dusko.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.12.15(Sat)12:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I'm not super upset he died. I'm sad I didn't know what to do to save him, even if it isn't possible. I'm also sad that I didn't listen to my instinct before buying him. I knew about this sort of thing before I went out for a purchase, but I ignored it. Shame on me.

It most certainly started the wheels of change for you! Dang.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: