Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Which Killi Fish have I got?
 Forum Index > Killifishes and Killi Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Fish Girl Grover
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.12.06(Thu)2:25    Post subject: Which Killi Fish have I got? Reply with quote

I am having trouble identifying the particular killi fish I have in my tank. I have 3 males and one female (one of my females turned out to be a male when I got him in the tank Embarassed !). My female is approx 6cm long and very VERY fat. I have been looking in to breeding her as I am worried she may be ready to mate/spawn, but I'm not sure exactly what type of killi she/they are, so cannot determine the best breeding method for them. From a picture in a book I have identified them as Aphyosemion gardneri - steel blue killis; these are the closet match in terms of visual identification. But, when I have been researching them on the net, I keep getting Fundulopanchax gardneri. Are they one and the same, or is there are difference? Question
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.12.06(Thu)2:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same fish, new name. Smile
Fish Girl Grover
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.12.06(Thu)2:56    Post subject: One Killi two names Reply with quote

Thanks for that! My killis look closer to the pictures I have seen for the Aphysemion gardneri, but at least now I know that info is the same for both. Can anyone tell me if they are continous spawner's or annual? Do they need to be in an environment with peat and spawning mops etc? I would really like to look after my female as best I can. Confused
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.12.06(Thu)4:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll find pretty much all you need in this fish's page in our Gallery section:

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_gardneri.php

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
 Forum Index > Killifishes and Killi Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: