Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
LIve RoCK And FilTerS
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
bobfish
Members

PostPosted: 2007.10.17(Wed)9:18    Post subject: LIve RoCK And FilTerS Reply with quote

HEy all! as I'm setting up my fist marine tank I have 2 important questions to ask. Live rock! I have a 30 gallon tank with only a 17 watt FL tube.
What would I need to keep the live rock ALive? I'm an old school planted tank guy and I know the watts per gallon rule. But I also know this dosent apply to salt water. My tank is only 15 inches deep. I know eventualy I would need a good metal h light system but for now I'm just gonna be keeping live rock and inverts. maybe in a few months once my tank is more mature id plan on putting in some tube worms. but for rock and saving$$$ is this good enough? now my second question is this! for marine tanks protien skimmer and what type of filter? canister bio wheel power filter what do you guys (or gals) recommend? right now I have a tetra power filter running while I cycle but I'm looking to buy a new better filter system and to get it in soon so I don't push the cycling to too long. But of course I don't want to spend like 300$ on a filter! Or is it really best to keep the power filter and get a reeally good skimmer? I'm working on the live rock right now. I'm adding like 5 lbs every pay.

any thoughts folks?
110 watts power compacts
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.10.17(Wed)14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about lighting in a FOWLR tank. It's just there to make things visible. Adding additional light will cause a number of macroalgaes to spring from the rock, but this can be done at any time later.
As long as you aren't keeping corals or other light-sensitive species, don't worry about your lighting.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.10.26(Fri)0:39    Post subject: Re: LIve RoCK And FilTerS Reply with quote

bobfish wrote:
HEy all! as I'm setting up my fist marine tank I have 2 important questions to ask. Live rock! I have a 30 gallon tank with only a 17 watt FL tube. What would I need to keep the live rock ALive?

Knowledge and research will keep your live rock alive.
The thing you want to encourage on your live rock is coralline algae
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.10.27(Sat)21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along with what FloridaBoy mentioned I would also recommend monitoring and dosing accordingly with Magnesium Sulphate or Epson salts. Natural seawater has about 1300ppm of magnesium in it and is necessary for the growth of coralline algae. I myself noticed a great increase in the growth of coralline (mostly in places I didn't want it, such as the glass on the front of tank) when I started increasing the magnesium levels. Also just a quick note, never dose the tank with anything unless you
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.10.28(Sun)10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnesium is important
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: