Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
mechanical filtration for a 40 reef
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Sacrophyton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.08.13(Mon)13:39    Post subject: mechanical filtration for a 40 reef Reply with quote

I know that mechanical filtration for reef tanks is not neccesary, and sometimes reccommended not to use... but theres a ton of debries floating around in my tank... especially when the powerheads turn on after they've been off for a while. does anybody know of a simple, mechanical only filter? I thought of another idea, but it is very time consuming; turn all powerheads off and let the debis settle on the bottem. then, vaccume the sand. unfortunetly, for me I have to bend over so I can control the flow of the vacume, or else it just sucks up the sand. after I've siphoned about 5 gallons of water out, let it sit in a bucket for about an hour. siphon the debis out of the bucket, taking only about half a gallon of water with it. then put the other four and a half gallons back in. I've done it with other tanks, and it takes about 1 hour of labor and 1 hour of waiting.
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.08.13(Mon)23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquaclear power filter perhaps? A guy that works at the lfs I go to runs two sets of powerheads at alternating times so that no dead spots occur. He has it all on a timer so that whenever the powerheads switch, a mechanical filter turns on for about 30 mins. Perhaps you could just run a cheap power filter like an Aquaclear for a little while after you pumps turn on and shut it off afterwards so no bacteria grows in it.
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.08.14(Tue)7:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a marineland H.O.T. magnum filter. just pop it on the tank once a week for 24hrs will clean up debris you have floating in the tank. Not to mention its a good idea for carbon every now and then anyhow.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: