Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Lighting for Corals & Anemones
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Budde
Members

PostPosted: 2007.07.20(Fri)7:48    Post subject: Lighting for Corals & Anemones Reply with quote

Hello All!
I was just wondering can I use the GE Aqua Rays Fresh/Saltwater Fluorescent Bulbs for Corals, and Anemones? The Link --> http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=3810&N=2004+113350

Thanks in Advanced. I would also like to know what do the Water Conditions need to be for Anemones, and Corals?

Thanks,
Josh Very Happy
http://joshfishcare.freeforums.org/index.php
http://josh-fish-care.wetpaint.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.07.20(Fri)8:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would need a heck of a lot of those bulbs to keep an anemone alive, even in a shallow tank. To put it into contrast, my BT anemone is extremely unhappy when it goes even 20" away from a 150W HQI Metal Halide Bulb. I actually think I don't have enought light for it and I have 300W of metal halide, and 192W of PC lighting over a 90 gallon.

It all really depends on the depth of the tank for corals though. You could probably keep some mshrooms if the tank was under 10" tall and you had several of those bulbs with VERY good reflectors.

If you are serious about keeping an anemone, look into your options of Metal Halide and T5 lighting. The price may turn you away immediately. For soft corals, I would say the bare minimum should be Power Compact lighting.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.08.07(Tue)12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many Gallons is your tank, you just can't throw corals and anenomes in a tank like that. I have a bubble tip in my tank and it is doing great under power compacts at 384 Watts. Anenomes and corals need high lighting conditions. Sometimes lighting systems cost more or equal to a tank. as a matter of fact lighting shud be the one item you don't skimp out on a reef tank otherwise your just going to be killing corals......

Go to wetwebmedia.com and do some more research there Very Happy
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: