Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Vacation Tips
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jarnhestur
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.06.30(Sat)18:32    Post subject: Vacation Tips Reply with quote

I'm leaving my 10g setup for 10 days next week. I'm having someone come by and deposit (pre-measured) food in every 2 or 3 days. I have the 'vacation feeders', some sort of disolving shell shape thing, but I don't know that I trust them.

I current have an oto, 2 white skirt tetra's, 2 serpae tetras, and 3 neons.

Any good vacation tips or other things I should consider? I'm considering getting a timer for the light, because I do have a single plant, although it's not very big (it's some sort of plain grass).

Thanks!
Jason L
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.06.30(Sat)21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to have everything covered. Your suspicions are right about the vacation feeder; they are terrible. If you have someone coming to feed them every couple days, they will be fine. A light timer is definitely a good idea. 24 hours of light a day will probably bring about some algae, and no light at all could kill the plant. My only suggestion is a large water change before you go.
Ferrariman
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.06.30(Sat)21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard from many places that a well feed fish, can survive a week with no food. key is well feed.

your best idea is to just use the premeasured food bags you made and have someone feed them every 2/3 days like you were going to do.

skip the self disolving thing all together
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
gm333
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.06.30(Sat)23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to point out that tetra gel feeding blocks work very well and will not release too soon, or cloud up your water. I have used them on several ocassions. Here is a link to the product.

http://tinyurl.com/yvdkqf
Ferrariman
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.07.01(Sun)12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks gm333

from what I heard they don't work very well but if you had succes, then jarnhestur

might be better off with one of those.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
gm333
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.07.01(Sun)21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

They work better than the plaster base feeders. In all actuality an electronic feeder is better, but if you don't have the spare cash these tend to work much better in the long run. Not to mention give you a little peace of mind while your away by not constantly worrying about your fish.
jarnhestur
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.07.03(Tue)5:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice all! I'll rest easier knowing what has worked for everyone else.

Thanks again,

Jarn
jarnhestur
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.07.18(Wed)14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to reply to this earlier, but I got back last week and all was well - mostly. After feeding the fish I noticed some extra algae in the tank. Sure enough, after looking around a bit there was a lot extra.

I thought maybe my Oto took a vacation as well, but when doing the water change the next day I vacumed up a ton of extra food off the bottom. My uncle who had my dog stopped by a few times to check on the house and fed them himself, even though I had asked him not too. Doh!

Oh well, my water parameters were fine (thank goodness for the extra corner filter!) so no harm done. Thanks again to everyone with the helpful suggestions.
RaiderFan92
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.07.19(Thu)11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least your uncle was being considerate! Laughing And is your oto OK? its not like them to pass up any algae at all.
jarnhestur
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.07.19(Thu)12:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

He seems to be doing fine, actually. I think there's just too much algae for him to get to and it's regrowing rapidly. I don't mind if the tank has some extra algae because he won't eat anything I drop in the tank (algae tablets, cucumbers, etc.). I've cut back the feedings to ever other day until I do my water change on Saturday.

I gotta say, I love the oto and I'm definately planning on getting some more for my next tank (20g tall) when I get around to setting it up. I'd get him a friend, but I'm worried the 10g won't support two otos. Plus, I got two originally, but the 2nd oto only last for 2 weeks. Poor little guy seemed sluggish from the time I picked him at the LFS.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: