Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Getting rid of the gurgle
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
SharkyX
Members

PostPosted: 2007.05.31(Thu)19:05    Post subject: Getting rid of the gurgle Reply with quote

Well heres the situation.
Playing around with changing water today, anyways I moved around my sump lines to try and make it easier for me...

Well anyways now the tank has achieved it's balance again at which the pump is going full tilt and the water is draining at the exact same speed. The problem is that, unlike all previous times it has achieved thsi effect just below the top of my drain, so now it gurgles as it sucks in air as it would going down the drain of a sink for example.

What would be the best way to clear up this problem, the tank is in my living room and it's fairly distracting... not to mention when I have company over on saturday we'll have to talk over the tank... which in my mind defeats part of the purpose of putting the tank somewhere to display your handywork.
wittd
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.05.31(Thu)21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of drain line do you have? Is it just a vertical pipe in an overflow? If so, then I used an aquasilencer. I made my own from the DIY section of the website, or you could purchase it. It only took about an hour and maybe $15 worth of material. It just depends on how much you are into DIY, but it works great for me.
SharkyX
Members

PostPosted: 2007.06.01(Fri)7:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry should have provided details I guess eh Embarassed

One of these
http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/skus/bh/BHRB-270600.asp?L+scstore+dfdy9400ffbe11be+1180710406
installed at the top of my tank.
I've got some more plumbing to do today so it's not on at the moment so it's an ideal time to try to fix this.

the water level was being maintained right at the very top of the bulkhead which was of course causing some air to be sucked in as well as the water level dropped even slightly. but last night when everything was switched back on it stayed just at that level to make a constant gurgle.
Dojo
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.06.11(Mon)1:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm imagining this drain going out the side of the tank near the top?

put a 90 deg elbow on it facing down. Should fix your noise problem
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.06.11(Mon)2:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many holes do you have to play with? Only one?

Here's an idea for you to play with...it's able to be modified to work with a single hole, you need to have an overflow box or weir of some sort though.

PS: You need to signup on that page to see the thread, it might be worth doing.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: