Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Refractometer usage (new tank)
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
tripwater
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.05.31(Thu)12:46    Post subject: Refractometer usage (new tank) Reply with quote

OK, I just got my refractometer in today. I calibrated it and tested my water and I am not real sure how to read this so here is what I see

on the left the line is at 1.021 SG(I assume salt gravity) and on the right it has salinity numbers.

My water temp is 83f

again not sure what I am reading in this eye piece so any helpful hints or knowledge in this regard would be great. I found in another post that the ideal levels for salinity is 1.023-1.028.

As specific as salinity is in most of the threads I have read, is this not a wide range? I have read that SW fish are pretty sensitive to the salinity levels...I guess most are referring to a sudden change in the salinity levels when discussing this...

So as long as I stay within the 1.023-1.028 range I should be fine? Do I need to add more salt?

thank you for your time
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.05.31(Thu)15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's go back to the beginning...what did you calibrate it with? if not calibrated correctly it can cause issues.

It is best to keep it at 1.025.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
tripwater
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.05.31(Thu)15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

distilled water. That is what the instructions called for

thanks for the reply
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.05.31(Thu)16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that RODI and distilled water were not good to calibrate with, regardless of what the manufacturer says. Where can you get a sample of water for calibration? Mine is currently calibrated using the RODI method, but I don't really know if I should trust it. It reads just slightly under my hydrometer, so I think it is okay now, but not good enough for when I really get into keeping corals.

Tripwater, the "SG" part is reading specific gravity, and the other is reading salt concentration (usually in PPT).
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.05.31(Thu)18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael L. wrote:
I read somewhere that RODI and distilled water were not good to calibrate with, regardless of what the manufacturer says. Where can you get a sample of water for calibration?

Unfortunately I have no idea what you are talking about here...You are saying that you USE a method that is not recommended and also you ask where to get a sample of water for calibration and I am confused as to what type of water you are referring to. You completely lost me with the above statements...Thanks for the explanation on the SG and PPT
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.05.31(Thu)19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, that wasn't worded very well.

The supposed "proper" way of calibrating is to use water with a known specific gravity. This means, you would get a sample of water that you know has a SG of 1.025, and compare it to the results of your test on the refractometer, adjusting the refractometer to the proper calibration.

I was just asking anyone else if they knew where to get a "control sample" for calibrating a refractomer with.
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.06.01(Fri)17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use r/o water its not going to be far enough off to cause a problem. Plus it beats the heck out of a hydrometer which can be 3-5 points off.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: