Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Electronic flow valves for sump
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
SharkyX
Members

PostPosted: 2007.05.28(Mon)8:50    Post subject: Electronic flow valves for sump Reply with quote

I'm wondering if anybody has such a setup/what there success of it has been?

Basically what I'm looking to do is install a valve on both the input and return pipes from my sump that is controlled electronically so that when power shuts off, both valves close and no water can run any direction.

A check valve wouldn't work on the input side as it would the return, because of course water would be flowing the way it is supposed to :p
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.05.28(Mon)9:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with such a setup is that the valves get coated in slime and debris and when the time comes for them to function as a stopper they leak water around the seal. A better solution is to have a few holes in the return just under the water line. If power is stopped...the water will only drain to that level before the siphon is broken.

Electronic devices and saltwater are never a good mix. If the valve fails leading to the sump, which it could, then the flow will be stopped yet the pump will still be on and you will have an overflow of water onto the floor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
SharkyX
Members

PostPosted: 2007.05.28(Mon)12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I was mostly wanting this for the input side of things as a method to stop it continuing to fill when power to the pump is cut off.

Mainly I'd like to be able to put more water into my 5.5g sump tank but I fI add more then about a litre (.25 g) then if the system shuts off I'll end up with an overflow... which I don't really want to have.

I know these kinds of things are out there from the processing world that close when the power is shut off.. just don't know if it's practical in the aquarium world.
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.05.28(Mon)13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they are available in the plumbing world. Usually made of brass...lethal in saltwater to inverts. Stainless steel rusts and can wipe out a tank. I haven't seen plastic versions and titanium is also available but for the price you could easily build a stand to house the tank and a larger sump.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
SharkyX
Members

PostPosted: 2007.05.28(Mon)13:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a lot of what's available in brass or stainless is available in plastic for the hazardous waste environments...

But again the price might make it worthwhile to just install a bigger sump Laughing

Just wondered in anybody had such a setup that worked Smile
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: