Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Some suggestions on skimmers...
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.04.19(Thu)12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to answer that completely you will need to outline your system goals, livestock plan... I would go with the skimmer first, you can always add a fuge later, they are both a good idea depending on your goals, also a veggie filter with reverse lighting cycle can be beneficial... however---IMO a basic 24/7 quarantine/hospital tank is more important than any of these add-on "basins" in the beginning.
tripwater
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.05.01(Tue)11:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I will focus on the skimmer then. I have taken my 10 gallon and converted it into a hospital tank. My LFS has a skimmer that is somewhat affordable called a prizm skimmer, but I read some people going off on this and saying it sucks. In your opinion, is this a worthless piece of equipment? It is a fraction of the cost of most suggested skimmers and I assume that "you get what you pay for" and this is so because of inadequacy

thank you for your time
wittd
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.05.01(Tue)18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prizms get a bad rap. They are by no means the best skimmer, but they aren't as bad as everyone says. They do require a lot more work than others, no where near a set it and forget it piece of equipment. One thing that I have found to make a great difference is attaching a surface skimmer, which increases the performance in any skimmer. I wouldn't tell someone to go out and pick one, but that skimmer with the mod kit or an aqua clear surface skimmer still costs much less than others. If it is the best that you can afford, then it will help some. I still use one, but if I knew what I do now when I bought it, I would have waited until I could afford better.
tripwater
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.05.01(Tue)20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the response. I also saw an affordable skimmer called the SeaClone 100. Any thoughts on this skimmer?
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.05.01(Tue)21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass on the SeaClown...quite possibly the worst skimmer ever built. I would pass on the Prism as well for a 50 gallon tank. You will spend more money on cheap skimmers over the long haul. You will figure out that that cheap skimmer isn't cutting it and buy what you think is a better skimmer only to later discover you need a better skimmer. Spend the money on a good skimmer up front, you will save money in the long run. A skimmer is your first line of defense against dirty water, don't skimp. If you need some suggestions let me know, I have seen and owned several. Plan on spending a couple hundred at least, maybe more. Cheap skimmers are usually a poor, outdated design with underpowered pumps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Serum
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.05.01(Tue)22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is allowed, but I have a Remora pro with Mag 5 in excellent condition...Pm me if interested.
Please delete if this is not allowed and I apologize.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: