Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Light Meters
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Helionig
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.04.22(Sun)23:55    Post subject: Light Meters Reply with quote

My system currently has 3 20k 400W Metal Halides. As you can imigine they can be a tad expensive. I am looking into the possibility of purchasing a light meter. Does anyone have any experience using light meters to monitor when to replace their halides? Also is there somewhere I can go to read what the parameters are for the Halides and how the reading on the light meters corresponds to the halides output?
SharkyX
Members

PostPosted: 2007.04.27(Fri)13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helionig.

You don't need to measure with a lightmeter and in actual fact it wouldn't really do you much good as the water and the glass (or acrylic etc.) will distort your light meter reading.

The generally accepted method of relamp is to change your bulb at 70% of rated lamp life.
Most standard metal halide lamps have a lamp life of about 20,000 hours.
If you change them at 14,000 the light depretiation will not be significant over the mean lumen output of the lamp.
The lamp life for that kind of an MH lamp may be different due to the makeup of the components to get the lamp to 20,000K when standard is somewhere between 4,000 and 5000 K from large scale lamp companies like Philips or GE so I'd consult the data sheet for that lamp.

You can generally get data like end of life etc. from lamp manufacturers websites.
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.04.27(Fri)22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some interesting reading here on your question. I normally change my DE bulbs at 12 months but may re-think that a little now. Cool

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/ac/index.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
SharkyX
Members

PostPosted: 2007.04.28(Sat)7:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of interesting reading on that page.
It's interesting to see what's change in the last couple years and how quickly it changes to.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: