Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Ozonizers
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
TheMorayMan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.04.19(Thu)18:25    Post subject: Ozonizers Reply with quote

Hey Guys....I was thinking bout buying an ozonizer because I recently bought an AquaC EV 120 Skimmer and it came with the John Guest Speed Fitting. Just thinking if it is good to add it or worth it. Any Comments
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.04.19(Thu)19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run ozone and am very pleased with it. I makes my skimmer perform better, my water is clearer and my sps have responded nicely to it. I would like to caution about running ozone...use an orp controller!!! Ozone can cause major issues with your tank if not controlled. If you don't run carbon then you must start. Ozonated water is caustic and you need the carbon to help tame it a little. One thing to note also, not all ozonizers are equal. I use a Sanders 25mg unit and it is more than enough to keep my orp in the 125 at 400mv. My unit is rated for a 50 gallon tank yet it easily handles my 125. There are several brands out there, if you can find a Sanders get one and avoid Eanaly units as they are troublesome and break easily. Sanders is a German unit and built extremely well.

The biggest changes you will notice is the water clarity and how your skimmer works. You will need to adjust your skimmer to run a little drier. make sure your home is vented well as ozone can cause health issues though I have never even smelled it in my old place but my 100 yr old windows aren't exactly good for keeping fresh air out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
TheMorayMan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.04.19(Thu)19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a UV and Have very very clear water....I would like to add an ozone generator too....btw serial I saw some of your tank photos and I must say they were awesome. And I finally got my eel to eat something although it was a piece of freeze dried krill its a start
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.04.19(Thu)19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a good start...I am hopeful that when it gets hungry enough it will eat. Removing the grouper will help a lot. I saw you were wanting a trigger...it is true they will eat anything and as it gets bigger your eel may become a nice meal. Eels in my opinion should be in a safer environment and aggressive fish and heavy eaters aren't the best tank mates. I nice soft coral reef would be awesome with it.

My little tank has grown a lot over the years as has the equipment list. It is a money pit but I am hopelessly hooked on it. I have enjoyed keeping corals greatly and can't imagine not doing it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
TheMorayMan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.04.19(Thu)20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about if I skip the puffer and trigger and go with a large angel such as the Majestic Angel and a Copperband butterfly...I have an unusal amount of Aiptasia and aam worried it wil harm the coral if I buy coral....I have also that I didn't mention a Chocalte Chip Star....if I get any coral I put him in my refugium
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.04.19(Thu)20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Large Angels and Butterflies would be safe from the eel though Iam not sure I would put a large Angel in a 4' tank. The Copperband will eat Aips but they also have a dismal survival rate in aquariums. They won't eat all of the Aips as it also grows where the fish can't get to them. I don't know anyone who has kept a Copperband alive more than year and our local club has about 70 members.

The chocolate chip also has a dismal survival rate. Sad
TheMorayMan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.04.19(Thu)20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

well dismal survival rate not for the Choc star....I've had him for about 2 yrs now and hes gotten big Very Happy.........but will the aptasia harm the coral to a great extent
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.04.19(Thu)20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 years is way above avg. Good job. If you were keeping sps the Aips would be an issue but with most softies no. You can beat Aips by killing them but it takes diligence. You will never get them all but you can control them. True peppermint shrimp work great but would be a nice snack for the eel. lol
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: