Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
90 Gallon Equipment Questions
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.04.14(Sat)21:59    Post subject: 90 Gallon Equipment Questions Reply with quote

My folks decided that they would buy a 90 gallon reef ready tank if I bought all of the livestock and I maintained it. We will go pick it up on Friday the 20th. I have a few questions about it though, because we got a VERY helpful and informative lfs owner to basically design a setup and package it up for us.

Here's what we are getting from him:

90 Gallon Tank with two overflows(48" Long)
Cherry Wood Stand
48" Coralife Aqualight Pro 48" HQI (Metal halide, PC, LED moonlights)
Sump with 2 baffles (I don't know the size, but he will make it custom)
Refractometer
Saltwater Master Test Kit
Reef Master Test Kit
Heater
2 Tunze Powerheads (I think he said 1100 GPH each?)
Digital timer
Digital Temperature Guage
Aragonite Substrate
100 Gallon Salt Mix
Glass Top
Rena XP3 Filter
Coralife Super Skimmer
Some other stuff I forgot...

I'm a little worried about the XP3 filter. I think he wants to use it for a return pump, which sounds reasonable, but I'm a little concerned that it will become a nitrate factory because he suggested we use a sponge in it. Is that okay?

I will be keeping chaeto in the sump, and that will be lit by a Coralife 2X65W PC fixture. that should be okay, right?

Also, does it look like we have everything we will need. I think it is, but I could have missed something. I know we also need a RO filter, but we can get that this week.

Comments, Suggestions, Questions?
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.04.15(Sun)9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I have the chaeto for my 10 gallon nano, which currently houses no fish, so it will now become the quarantine tank. When I go pick up the 90 gallon on Friday, I'll also pick up a smaller percula clown that can go into quarantine as the first fish to enter the 90 gallon when it is cycled.

Can someone tell me how often you have to do water changes (on average) with a tank this size. I plan to stock the tank lightly so that I have as much room as possible for corals.

Here is a possible stock list:

2 Percula Clowns
10 Turbo Snails
10 Blue-Legged Hermit Crabs
1 Firefish
2 Bangaii Cardinalfish
1 Blue (regal) Tang

And later on (maybe a year or more from now):

1 Mandarin Dragonet

Does that sound reasonable? I plan on having about 100lbs. of live rock in the tank overall.

I will also have a 9 watt UV sterilizer. Will that harm the copepod population? Do the benefits outweigh the downfalls?
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.04.15(Sun)11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of questions here but we will take it a step at a time.

First off...do not try and use a cannister for a return pump...very bad idea, power outages will cause a siphon and may flood the sump. The pump in a cannister is not strong enough to last long term as a return pump, the head height of the water will eventually burn it out. You can use a foam filter in it but plan on cleaning it out every week or so.

The equipment list is good but do not use the glass tops, they will hold in the heat and the temps will rise too high.

I don't use UV and if you plan on keeping a mandarin I probably wouldn't though I know many people do. QT your livestock and you won't have any issues with pathogens.

If the test kit is Aquarium Pharm. take it back, they are OK for freshwater but I have had nothing but problems with the saltwater versions. Erroneous readings will drive you crazy.

The equipment list looks fine but I would get a good Eheim pump for a return. It uses very little electricity and won't heat the water up as much as a Mag or other pump will.

You have all of the basics covered for a very nice setup. The Coralife skimmer is decent but they do require more maintenance and tend to decrease in performance when dirty. For the money there are much better skimmers out there that sit in the sump. My biggest issue with the coralife skimmers is the pump is very small for the chamber it has to fill so it isn't very efficient.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.04.15(Sun)13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I kept on saying I would prefer a pump over a canister, but my parents (who know absolutely nothing as far as fish go) said they would trust a guy who has been keeping fish for ages over me. I'll work something out.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.04.18(Wed)17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I got almost everything today, except for the stand,refractometer, sump, and sand.

Here's an equipment breakdown:

90 Gallon w/ One Overflow
All Plumbing

Coralife Super Skimmer (rated for 220 Gallons)
Rena XP3 (Rated for 175 Gallons)
Lifeguard "QuietOne" 296 GPH Pump
Rio "Hyperflow" 750 GPH Pump
2X Seio "M1100" 1100 GPH Powerheads

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Saltwater Master
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Reef Master
Coralife Battery Operated Digital Thermometer

Hydor "theo" 400W Submersible Heater

Coralife Aqualight Pro (Two 150 Watt MH, Two 96 Watt PC, Three LED
Coralife Aqualight Digital Power Center

Glass Top

Seachem Reef Salt (160 Gallons)

So are all API kits bad, or is it just the nitrates? To be quite honest, nitrates are the least of my sorries since I plan to have a vigorous maintenance regime. Should I really take them all back?

Also, what pump should I use for return? I have the Rio and the Lifeguard. It looks like the Lifeguard is intended for return, but the Rio is higher powered.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: