Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
A Short, Non-Technical Guide to Cycling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Miss_DirtyPoo
Members

PostPosted: 2007.04.07(Sat)10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

DF Bobo wrote:
this is a shrotened version meant for begginers to understand it more. a full article that you are looking for is here I suggest you read the other articles here[/url]

Thanks so much!
Rache
Members

PostPosted: 2007.04.18(Wed)5:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like the target audience so I thought I'd comment Very Happy

I like the fact that there's nothing too technical cause being new and rushing into the tank scene...adding fish too soon.....constantly messin and not having a clue. It really helps me personally to understand.

When I bought my tank no one mentioned anything about waiting more than a week to put the fish in so now I'm having a mini panic whenever I think / read about others losing they're fish

I found the other articles although very good a little too much for someone who's having a panic and has no background in freshwater fish

It's a great help having a quick and easy read on things like the cycling as it seems to be pretty important, I can't get the information to stick in my head so I'm constantly re-reading through the posts on here

thanks

xxx
Bryn
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.04.23(Mon)18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Just surfing around looking for info and I think that any effort to help make things easier for the novice is welcome.

I'm sure you're doing the right thing but at the end fo the day if you really want to make it work you have to put in the effort and tiem.

That's life I guess

Keep up the good work and don't be discouraged by the more "formal approach"

Bryn Very Happy
stevehelium
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.06.24(Sun)4:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked this out because of the problems I am having due to not properly cycling my own tank. I like that there is absolutly no technical jargon in here because for me that is a turn off. My brain simply doesn't think in that way.

However, I wanted to add that perhaps not only a simple article on cycling like this, but also a general and simple recovery guide for those of use who DO make the mistake and then enter into panic mode. Things such as doing 15 water changes daily, underfeeding, what water tests are important and what ones may not help, etc.

I know I'm new to this forum, but doesn't that sound like a good idea, too? A sticky like "WOOPS! I didn't cycle! NOW WHAT?"

Just a thought.
CAllain
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.06.25(Mon)6:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually that's probably a good idea, a lot of posts seem to be from people not having cycled properly and not knowing what to do to correct or at least get through it.
stevehelium
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.06.27(Wed)9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had the knowledge to do it, I would definitely take the time to help folks out that are in my situation right now.

Maybe some of the more experienced folks here could chime in? I think it would be a great help and, honestly, this is one of the first forums to come up when you search for help on aquariums. You are getting a lot of viewers, for sure!
FISH FANCY
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.09.09(Sun)22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the way it is written is very easy to understand and stresses the importance of the nitrogen cycle. I would add that even though most local fish shops have knowledgeable staff to ask questions; one to ignore is their advice on purchasing fish to do the cycling process.
metalmib
Members

PostPosted: 2008.05.14(Wed)16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to Dusko's comment, I agree fully with what he is saying and apologize. I have used his article on silent cycling for my planted tank and as someone relatively new and inexperienced as myself, I can say that this site has brought me a long ways from where I began, which I'm sure isn't even the tip of the iceberg. I have a question on cycling but I'm posting a new thread, I'll leave posting on sticky's to the experts, for now!

Last edited by metalmib on 2009.04.22(Wed)23:04; edited 1 time in total
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.05.15(Thu)2:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site should be baned in my opinion; http://www.aquariumpros.com/articles/fishcyclefw.shtml

Quote:
The following is a list of fish, which, in our experience, have proven hardy enough to survive the initial "break in" period of a freshwater aquarium. The creation of this list was not based on any type of scientific method, but rather on our own experience with the many aquariums we've installed. Each species on this list has consistently proven able to tolerate high levels of ammonia and nitrite, for at least four weeks, in the many freshwater aquariums installed by The Aquarium Professionals Group.

They are supporting exactly what Aqua Hobby.com is fighting against;
Exposing fish/inverts to ammonia/nitrite spikes during the nitrogen cycle.
And they call them selves "Aquarium Professionals" (pathetic)!

What this link is advising is highly unethical and I am disgusted with the fact that such sites still exist on the net.

There are 3 ways to start a new tank;
1. Fish-less cycling = adding flakes (or similar) to the tank, waiting for it to start rotting, testing for NH4, NO2 and NO3 to determine when the nitrogen cycle is completed
2. Silent cycling = planting lots of (min.25%) with fast growing stem plants, which will uptake the NH4 before being converted to NO2
3. Jump-starting = using established filter media/gravel from another (already cycled) tank

But NEVER with living "hardy" fish!!!

Even the hardiest fish will get damaged for life if exposed to high ammonia and nitrite levels during the nitrogen cycle.

Bad bad site that is, shame on them.

Happy Fish-Keeping (opposite of Fish-Having)

Regards, Dusko
Members

PostPosted: 2009.03.03(Tue)15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my LFS gave me some dead fish from their tanks to speed up my cycle process. I am in abit of a bind baecause one of my 55 gallon tanks is just becoming toxic for my fish. After months of trying to find the cause of the problems with no results (levels were good, no new fish added, no dead fish, no over feeding, etc..) we figured it was something in the filter or the substrate. So I have to pretty much ditch EvERYTHING in the old tank and replace it. In the meantime, I am trying to cycle my other 55 gallon tank to move the fish out of the bad tank. It has only been 24 hours and I am hoping the fish can hang in there for atleast one more day, but I am getting worried. The tank was clear yesterday but today is cloudy white from a bacteria bloom. I am not sure how much longer I can wait to get the fish out of the bad tank, but I don't want to cause them anymore stress espacially since they are in such a fragile state already. With the seriousness of the sickness in the bad tank, when is the soonest time I can move my fish out of there without seriously compromising them any more? My LFS said 48 hours (because of the severity of the other tank). I am not sure...what I am sure of is that my fish HAVE to get out of the bad tank!!
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: