Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Cichlid Stamina - Story of Survival (First Post)
 Forum Index > The Best of the Board  Reply to topic   Post new topic
PicOlio
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.02.21(Fri)20:03    Post subject: Cichlid Stamina - Story of Survival (First Post) Reply with quote

Hello All (First Post)

I wanted to share the story of a Jack Dempsey with a will to survive. I shared it on another forum as well however I then noted it did not receive near as much activity as this one so decided to share it here too. This particular, Jack Dempsey is one of our favorite cichlids, and as such, we were quite upset to find that the two chipokee cichlids tried to rip him apart...and -almost- succeeded.

The JD did quite well at defending himself and getting out of harm's way until we noticed what was happening and separated them. The Chipokees didn't receive any damage but the JD certainly did. I have been quite impressed, to say the least, by the JD's recovery so I thought maybe others would enjoy seeing it as well.

The day of the attack. Fins completely ripped off, scales shredded, and basically looking like death itself.

Once we found him we quickly added a divider into the tank. If you look carefully you'll see it in this pic and you'll also see one of the Chipokees (the yellow/black striped fish) still looking toward his side of the tank...still wanting to get at him.

Just 5 days later. His fins began growing back and his damaged scales healed and/or came off leaving a clean layer of flesh to grow new ones.

In another 7 days (today) we have almost a full recovery. He's swimming, hunting, and eating just like he did prior to the fight and looking fabulous. I imagine in another five days, one would never know anything had even happened to him.

Just goes to show, we shouldn't give up on these amazing lil'guys. They've certainly got stamina!

So with that little story, I say hello and thanks for allowing me to share Wink

To introduce myself with "what matters" on a site like this *grin*, my current "Pet Stats" are as follows:
One Female Congo African Grey Parrot, One Male Rottweiler, Two Cats (male and female), Three Red-Eared Slider Hatchling Turtles, One Adult River Cooter Turtle, One Hamster, One 225 Gallon Aquarium, Two 55 Gallon Aquariums, One 50 Gallon Aquarium, One 46 Gallon Aquarium, One 29 Gallon Aquarium, One 28 Gallon Aquarium, One 20 Gallon Aquarium, and One Ten Gallon Aquarium. Fish of choice -- Cichlids hands down! A list of fish currently in our home can be viewed at http://www.PicOlio.com/Fish/

So that's me and I look forward to learning even more about aquariums (and those behind them) within this community.
Trill the man
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.02.22(Sat)9:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's some story. that JD just wasn't going to give up was he! Smile hope he never gets into another fight like that again, because if he doesn't survive (which I doubt would happen due to this story Wink ) it would be a waste of a beautiful fish! keep him healthy and perhaps post some pics when he grows to full size!
Oscar
Members

PostPosted: 2003.02.22(Sat)19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are those pics of your actual fish on your site becuase that serpae tetra is beutiful I have never seen one like that
PicOlio
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.02.22(Sat)19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oscar wrote:
Are those pics of your actual fish on your site becuase that serpae tetra is beutiful I have never seen one like that
Yes, I have this obsession to observe with digital camera in hand... Every pic on the site is of the actual fish we currently have in the tanks in our home ... I think the fish are starting to pose Laughing

The Serpae is still alive and well in our community tank, though he is unfortunately alone. We started with four a couple of years ago and the other three died over that period Sad This guy however just keeps doing great Smile

We picked him up at PetSmart for about $3... at the time they seemed plentiful but I have not seen any around our LFS recently. I do hope to find more at some point as they look even better live...especially amongst the green plants...

The Serpae is definitely woth picking up if you do see any around. Very cool fish!
fishguy85
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.02.23(Sun)0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

what an awsome story I love it
PicOlio
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.02.27(Thu)4:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all fairness to the Chipakees it seems we falsely accused them.

The Jack Dempsey has fully recovered and upon removing the divider we were rudely awakened to what the real problem was!

The Demsey and our Rusty IMMEDIATELY went head to head with each other. Mouths wide open and serious fighting broke out. The Rusty would NOT let up... s/he was on a vengeance to finish the JD off.

We placed the divider back in the tank and put the Rusty in isolation. However this didn't work at all... The JD and the Rusty continued to fight through the glass and it was apparent the stress levels were high.

Over the next few days we tried placing the Rusty in with our Oscars to see how they'd do together. The first 24 hours seemed OK but by day 2 the Rusty was attacking the Oscars like crazy and the Oscars were not fast enough to avoid his vengeance.

We then tried placing the Rusty in a 225 gallon aquarium with two HUGE Tin Foil Barbs and one adult turtle. Again the first 24 hours seemed OK because the Rusty remained in the caved area and the Barbs swim the open area of the tank. The barbs are large, spastic, and FAST. The tank is HUGE. The turtle is mellow and enjoys being up on the basking shelf out of the water so she's not really an issue for the fish. I THOUGHT it may work but again by day two everything went downhill. The Rusty began hunting the barbs and took a chunk our of one of the barbs above his eye. *SIGH* He wouldn't settle down Crying or Very sad

Now the Rusty is back in a small area divided away from all of the other fish. I have 11 fish tanks and can't find a place for this Cichlid. I'm totally out of ideas outside of putting forth a large chunk of cash for yet another tank for ONLY this fish....

I don't know what has gotten into the Rusty. He was fine for quite a long while but now his is a violent nuisance.

I am very close to "disposing" of this cichlid and I have NEVER done something like that before. I also can not find a LFS to take him.

What would cause a fish to "change" like this? And to be this way in a number of different situations and tank sizes?

The problem fish is:

He loves to hang out in his cave, but if anyone even thinks about swimming by the cave he quickly gets out and hunts them down until their dead...he won't give up. Once a tank mate crosses his path it's all over with.

What would you do?
Raul-7
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.17(Mon)10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably, get him his own aquarium and get him a mate! Smile
chris78corvette
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.06(Sun)22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

we could put him in my 97 gallon cichlid tank with my nicknamed "bubba" fish don't know what he is but he is like 14 " long and scares my 6-7" cichlids every time he swims near he could keep him in check Smile

PostPosted: 2003.04.08(Tue)1:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get rid of his cave. Remove all of your fish, rearrange the tank completely and make sure there are really no caves, but more tunnels for them to swim through. Then reintroduce them. IME hiding spots cause aggression by making fish more territorial. It sounds crazy but this worked for me. Of course this fish sounds really vindictive, none of mine have ever killed each other.
 Forum Index > The Best of the Board All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: