Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Lighting advice ??
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
yaz8tc67
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.04.11(Wed)21:21    Post subject: Lighting advice ?? Reply with quote

This is my first ever aquarium.

I am looking at Hamilton Technolgy MH (based solely on other recommendations) and need any/all guidance I can get. I just want to make the right lighting choice.

http://www.hamiltontechnology.com/shop/index.php?task=show&cat=4FT+Deluxe+Metal+Halide+with+Compact+Fluorescents

I have a 60g reef (2 weeks into cycling of live rock only) utilizing no lighting..
Tank dimensions are approx. 48w x 26h x 13 (depth) .. My plan is to have corals, anemone, and a few fish. Like everyone else I want it look the best it can look but also don't want to overspend and/or create other problems..

So I figure I need 300 watts of power.

I am assuming I should go with the 175W bulbs? What Kelvin choice should I be leaning towards?

Is the Hammertone Reflector worth the upgrade cost ?

Choice of Blue Actinics ?

Thanks in advance for your help.. Question
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.04.11(Wed)21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamilton equipment is rock solid but there are much better and less expensive choices out there. The fixtures you referenced are very outdated and inefficient

Do some looking online, Hamilton makes some newer stuff that is good as well. Reefstar pendants are awesome. Technology has come a long ways since those old Hamilton hoods were made...do some searching on reef tank lighing. Premium Aquatics is a good place as is thereefstop.com who has awesome prices. Retrofitting is a good way to save money as well. Personally I like the ReefOptics3 pendants with double ended halides. A pair of 150 watt bulbs would be economical and 250 watt bulbs would be ideal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
yaz8tc67
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.04.12(Thu)5:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your ideas.. I will continue digging..
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: