Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Salinity please help!
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Atlantis
Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.19(Mon)13:13    Post subject: Salinity please help! Reply with quote

I'm really confuse right now, I have an instants ocean hydrometer that say the ideal salinity should be from 28 to 32 PPT(1.020-1.024 grav.) And some say it should be between 35 and 37(aprox 1.025 and 1.027) ????

IYO what is the best gravity?

(I had a couple of snail dying a month ago, and now I just bought some and don't want them to die, some say for turbo snail the salinity should be between 35 and 37) anyway your opinion will be really appreciate!

And one more thing, when I top off my tank with freshwater, if the salinity goes up and down (ex: variation of 1,024 to 1,021, will it affect creature in my tank?)

(My tank is now at 1.022 and contain 1 blue damsel, 1 clarky clown,1 dwarf angel(half-black),1 blood shrimp,1peppermint shrimp, 6-7 turbo snails(added yersterday and probably gonna die within one week or 2 if I don't find the problem like my last group of turbo snails) + aprox 10-13 blue legged crabs)

Tx

Dave
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.02.19(Mon)15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave your hydrometer needs to be calibrated by someone with a refractometer. Whatever you hydrometer says is 99% most likely not correct. I have two, and they are both different, one will read 1.022 when the salinity is 1.026 and the other will read 1.03 when the correct salinity is 1.026 so as you can see you cannot trust them.

To calibrate it use a refractometer, if the refract. says 1.026 then measure the same water with the hydrometer and mark the swingarm level. This isn't precise but will be close enough.

By the way, reef target salinity is 1.026
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
wittd
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.19(Mon)17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to get your salinity to the correct level with the tank at the desired water level. Only water will evaporate, so as this occurs your salinity will rise. When you refill the tank to the correct level with fresh water, your salinity will be at the desired level. The more often you top off, the easier your salinity is to maintain.
Atlantis
Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.19(Mon)20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ho OK...damm that means its been like 1 year I have probably the wrong salinity in my tank :S ouch...

Ty very much for the advice, I am looking to buy one right now, or maybe ill call to my lfs tomorrow if they can calibrate it for me.

Is it gonna do the job? Or like hydrometer some refractometer are not trustable?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Salinity-Refractometer-0-10-ATC-Aquarium-Salt-Water_W0QQitemZ330089153534QQihZ014QQcategoryZ20755QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.02.19(Mon)22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one will work, it isn't much different than mine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Atlantis
Members

PostPosted: 2007.03.05(Mon)15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I just receive my refractometer today and I was shock how big was the difference. On my hydrometer it was telling my 1.027 and on the refract 1.022 ! Wow, I was usually keeping the salinity at 1.022 approx with my hydro so ...that means all that time I was at 1.017!

Ouch..anyway, tx sirreal for noticed me about that!
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: